SWISS ALPS

10:23 a.m. on April 23, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Planning on hiking from Chamonix to Zermatt on the Haute Route this July.

Any feedback on places to stay, weather, what to take etc, is appreciated. Taking my 14 yr old son too!

2:00 p.m. on April 23, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

The following site is a useful starting point: www.hejoly.demon.nl/index.html

It offer many links to sites in English, French, German and Dutch. Europe is multi-lingual ... But even if you only speak English, you may find something.

3:28 p.m. on April 23, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I forgot to mention that Lonely Planet has a "Walking in Switzerland" guide. I've never tried it, but I've found "Walking in Italy" very useful. It offered all the information I could wish for. Not only about the trails, but about Italy in general as well. There's a fair chance that the walk you're planning in Switzerland is described in detail.

I had the impression the level of difficulty of the walks, and the indicated walking times, were a bit exaggerated, at least for experienced walkers. But that may be a good point if you're walking with a teenager.

10:40 p.m. on April 23, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

For a great photo trip report on the Haute route, check out Jonathon Carr's webpage. If you are at all interested in doing any outdoor activities in New Zealand, then it's also a great source of inspiration:

http://www.crosswinds.net/~jonathancarr/Egallery/alps/alps-short.html

Quote:

Planning on hiking from Chamonix to Zermatt on the Haute Route this July.

Any feedback on places to stay, weather, what to take etc, is appreciated. Taking my 14 yr old son too!

1:10 p.m. on April 24, 2002 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,256 forum posts

If you join one of the Alpine Clubs (such as French Alpine Club, which has an office in Chamonix), you get priority and a discount at the huts you will find along the Haute Route. It only takes a couple nights to get your membership fee back in the discounts. The Alpine Clubs have reciprocal privileges, so you can stay at Swiss Alpine Club, Italian Alpine Club, Austrian Alpine Club, etc huts and get the same deals and priorities. And you get some privileges at the Canadian Alpine Club huts as well (American Alpine Club doesn't have such a hut system, but they do have the Climber's Ranch in the Tetons).

The CAF (French Alpine Club, or more properly, Club Alpin Francais) office also has good maps and guidebooks for sale, as well as weather information. And no, you do not have to be a climber to join CAF or the other ACs in Europe, just "interested in the mountains."

1:12 p.m. on April 24, 2002 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,256 forum posts
one more item

Join American Youth Hostels before leaving. You can stay at the youth hostels in Europe really cheaply (not exactly 4-star accomodations, and you do have to do a "hostel duty" each day, but cheap and well-located for the Alps). There is no age restriction, they are for the young at heart.

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply