Winter acess to Moosilauke

11:37 p.m. on December 7, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Megamyth

Hello, I am from parts south and am looking to access Moosilauke for a day hike this winter. I have hiked, summer and winter and climbed ice in the whites for several years but I know nothing of mountains that far west. In particular, what Forest Roads are open, I have the AMC's white mountain guide, it says when some roads are gated in the winter but other times I have found that it doesn't; I get to the road and it is gated, oh well. I would like to take either the Benton, Glencliff, Carrage Rd., or Gorge Brook trail. My dayhiking partner has a small amount of winter experience in the whites and would like to have an "above treeline" experience. Basicly we would like to take a short, not-so-steep (no front pointing or dicey french technique)trail to the summit of Moosilauke, weather permiting. I'ld love to know what roads are gated and, if possible, opinions on what trail would best suit our goals. Thanks in advance.

6:04 p.m. on December 9, 2002 (EST)
8 reviewer rep
68 forum posts

Didn't do it in winter, but Moosilauke Slide is a great trail, not on the map.
Connects with the carriage road.

South peak is a nice, large, flat expanse of rock. You get a 360 degree view. But, the wind hits you from all sides as well :)

8:34 p.m. on December 9, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Kevin Rooney

Check out the AMC Guide for the Glencliff trail for winter hiking.

Quote:

Hello, I am from parts south and am looking to access Moosilauke for a day hike this winter. I have hiked, summer and winter and climbed ice in the whites for several years but I know nothing of mountains that far west. In particular, what Forest Roads are open, I have the AMC's white mountain guide, it says when some roads are gated in the winter but other times I have found that it doesn't; I get to the road and it is gated, oh well. I would like to take either the Benton, Glencliff, Carrage Rd., or Gorge Brook trail. My dayhiking partner has a small amount of winter experience in the whites and would like to have an "above treeline" experience. Basicly we would like to take a short, not-so-steep (no front pointing or dicey french technique)trail to the summit of Moosilauke, weather permiting. I'ld love to know what roads are gated and, if possible, opinions on what trail would best suit our goals. Thanks in advance.

3:49 a.m. on December 14, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Follow these links!
November 28, 2014
Quick Reply