havasu falls

7:57 p.m. on March 21, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. addrew, andrew sonleitner

will be hiking down to havasu falls from hualapai hilltop its ten miles and they say it takes 3-5 hours? how hard of a hike is it? i am hearing mixed stories, my wife has a bum knee will i need to carry her ha ha only respond if you made the hike! thank you

10:44 p.m. on March 21, 2003 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Quote:

will be hiking down to havasu falls from hualapai hilltop its ten miles and they say it takes 3-5 hours? how hard of a hike is it? i am hearing mixed stories, my wife has a bum knee will i need to carry her ha ha only respond if you made the hike! thank you

Havasu Falls has recently been named the best backcountry falls by Backpacker. I think there are better falls further down stream, but you can't go too much below Havasu with a bum knee. When I was there - 33 years ago - the Natives were just beginning to understand the meaning of tourism. I mean when I was there - there was no Hotel!!! Now you can go either way on horseback. If a ride down and back is $100 (probably more), you will pay the same for a ride out, so if you have a bum kne, ride both ways.

Anyway the hike is steep and beautiful and tough. I do not have any trail specs nor map in front of me, but whatever the footage, I think you climb or descend like half a mile in about three to four miles of gourge that is really quite gougeous, but you move quickly as it has obviously been carved and scoured by numerous flash floods and you do not want to be there when this happens.

It is a place for strong hikers. At the bottom of the gorge there is a long flat canyon bottom hike into Supai. WE used to camp along there, so the final hike could be made in a steep 3-4 climb.

Take your camera!
Jim S

3:24 p.m. on March 22, 2003 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

The only real difficulty will be the first mile or so - switchbacks - until you reach the wash. After this the trail has but a slight downhill grade all the way to the village of Supai. This section starts out gravelly, then becomes very dusty around the village. From the village there is another 1/2 mile or so of downhill to the falls and campground - maybe problematic for a bad knee after a long day. If she doesn't already, suggest getting a couple lightweight hiking staves to reduce the load on the knee. Also keep her packweight down, or even pay to have the tribe take it in on a packtrain.

Quote:

8:27 a.m. on May 27, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

I made the hike in and out this past weekend (Memorial Day 2003). I don't recommend it for anyone with a bum knee as the hike starts with a 1000' drop into the canyon. Anyone w/knee problems knows how extended down hill hikes feel. However, there are options. You can have your packs taken in by Mule train. The cost is about $150.00 to have up to 130 lbs. packed in and out. We split the cost between 4 of us and just carried day packs and water. Bring swimming stuff and tevas in your day pack as the Mules don't arrive at the camp until 3:00pm or so. You'll want to get in the water while waiting for them to arrive. You can also hire a horse and ride down which a lot of families do. I'm not sur on the cost. Lastly, there is the helecopter option. Not expensive and one hell of a ride. Enjoy, it's a great place to visit.

9:58 a.m. on June 4, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Wanting to hike to the falls with 4 children ages6 to 15. The only time we have is August 2-5. We have called and have been warned of flash floods and possible muddy waters because of the rains, making the falls unsafe for swimming. In fact they did not recommend we come at this time but its our one oppotunity to go with our family. Hate to take a chance of booking resevations, hiking with the heat and potential danger and then not being able to swim. Have you and info from anyone who been down there at that time of the year?

10:50 p.m. on June 15, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. marin dine

dear darren,
i have attempted to get down to havasupai 3 times from new hampshire. it is a long ride and as you know, a time consuming process to make arrangements. the first time we tried (after five days of driving), we got to peach springs and were turned back by BIA police. flash floods had washed out much of the village and some injured had to be pulled out by helo.that was last week in july, 1984. tried again in late august 1989 (flew to las vegas this time and rented a wagoneer). sorry to say, much the same result. third time was 1998. we went in late october. success. don't go until 'monsoon season' is well over. wait until mid to late sept at the earliest. there is nothing more heartbreaking than to look forward to a great adventure for a year, only to have to turn back within arms reach. oh, yeah. don't hike down. take the donkey. they know they ins and outs of the tricky way down. it's a trip of a lifetime. it is the most most beautiful place on earth. leave civilization behind. it is really another place and time. good luck. keep trying. m3x

3:59 p.m. on July 2, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

will be hiking down to havasu falls from hualapai hilltop its ten miles and they say it takes 3-5 hours? how hard of a hike is it? i am hearing mixed stories, my wife has a bum knee will i need to carry her ha ha only respond if you made the hike! thank you I`ve been there several times. From the hilltop, it starts with steep switchbacks then gradual downhill to Supai, about 8 miles (the village). Someone said it was 1/2 mile from there to the campground. I`ts more like 2 miles to the beginning of the campground (some of it steep, and steep downhill can be as problematic for knees and shins as steep uphill). The campground runs for about a mile between Havasu Falls and Mooney falls. The campground is the place to be, but with questionable knees, I`d recommend spending the first and last nights at the lodge in the village so as not to add two plus miles of somewhat steep hiking to an already 8 mile hike. Figure in the cost of renting horses if need be. Go to www.google.com and do a search on Havasupai. At www.weather.com you can see weather for Supai, but they don`t have daily averages. If you figure 3 to 5 degrees hotter than Kingman during the day, and 5 degrees cooler at night you should be pretty close. Around 85 degrees is nice, since it`s dry and the water is cold.

December 25, 2014
Quick Reply