About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

chunky gal mountain

8:37 a.m. on May 22, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

you gotta love love some place names! has anybody here ever checked out this area near the nc/ga border? i'm going to try get up chucky gal by way of the old macon trail off of us route 64. the georgia conservancy book - hightower guide to georgia mountains-raves abou this area. although this same resource has in the past steered me to trails that simply don't exist.

11:22 a.m. on May 22, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

I'm Sure She's Just Big-Boned! n/m

8:50 p.m. on May 24, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Yes, the Chunky Gal does, infact, exist! And it is a pretty nice area too! Post a report about your hike when you get back!

blade

Quote:

you gotta love love some place names! has anybody here ever checked out this area near the nc/ga border? i'm going to try get up chucky gal by way of the old macon trail off of us route 64. the georgia conservancy book - hightower guide to georgia mountains-raves abou this area. although this same resource has in the past steered me to trails that simply don't exist.

9:01 a.m. on May 27, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

chunky gal is pretty cool. other than some trail markers, and the remains of an old logging road, the area does not seem to show any impact of human shenanigans- pretty nice for a trail that has a trailhead on a u.s. highway. saw an incredible showing of flowering trilliums and indigenous orchids. probably the best part about the hike is that the trail runs along the narrow spine of chunky gal mountain, sometimes affording a gasping view for miles to either side. probably the worst part about is that, since US 64 loops aroung CG mtn, you can still hear the v-twins on harleys in the distance even when you are a couple miles in.

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply