West Coast Trail, Juan de Fuca, --- what next?

9:48 a.m. on August 7, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

I hiked the Juan de Fuca in 2002 (45 km) and just finished the West Coast Trail this year (75 km) (both located on the west coast of Vancouver Island, British Columbia). I enjoyed them as there was enough variety without a lot of steep mountain elevation change.
I am seeking another equally as challenging adventure for 2004. Does anyone have any ideas for great hiking trails in North America? Is there anything in Oregon like the WCT?

12:55 a.m. on August 8, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Evan C, Evan Crawford

I'm taking a random guess you live on the island, or nearby. Depends on what you're looking for - there is always good stuff in Strathcona park - hike in to Della Falls, or maybe Summit Mt. Albert Edward (it is walkupable). If you're looking for something more similar to the WCT or the Juan de Fuca, do a google search for the Nootka trail, or if you want more rustic, you could hike around Cape Scott, or there is a new trail slowly coming together, I think it is not really "there" yet, but people have hiked it:do a google for the north coast trail.

HTH,
Cheers,
Evan

8:49 a.m. on August 21, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

The North Coast Trail on Vancouver Island sounds really interesting. Does anyone you have more info on that? Is it well marked?

8:56 p.m. on August 21, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Well, here we find:
http://hikingtrailbooks.com/book_three.html
March, 2003:

9:04 p.m. on August 21, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

This is generally pretty sweet if you're hiking on the island or anywhere in BC:
http://maps.gov.bc.ca/imf/imf.jsp?site=bc_basemap
Be sure to check out under "layers" then "grids and images" the TRIM orthomosaic (I think they are ~30 m res aerial photos)

Anyway, if you look up near the cape it has a trail drawn in, but it dosen't look to me like it runs along the coast very much...

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply