Camping on Nancy Pond Trail (NH)??

8:01 p.m. on October 13, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

I'll be hiking in the Whites soon and I saw a brief mention of a "Camp 19" Can you set up a tent there?? I can't find mention of it anywhere on the internet and was hoping for some help here. Thanx

8:52 a.m. on October 14, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Paul L.

Quote:

I'll be hiking in the Whites soon and I saw a brief mention of a "Camp 19"

Play it safe and contact the WMNF Office. It should fall under the Saco office 603-447-1989 or just contact Laconia. I'd say that you'd be safe as long as you followed the FPA regs., but I'd call. It's not a hard site and is close to the old hut on Desolation (where you can't camp). Good luck.

3:39 p.m. on October 14, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

"It's not a hard site" What does this mean?
By my maps, where this Camp 19 is is about 1 to 1.5 mi away. I know you can't camp within 1/4 mi of the old Desolation shelter because of an ornery bear. Calling the WMNF office is a good idea...i'll have to try it as they closed about 3 minutes ago. Thanks

8:39 a.m. on October 15, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Paul L.

Quote:

"It's not a hard site" What does this mean?

Sorry should have been hardened site (AMC site, or like the old lean to on Kate Sleeper). I really recommend calling the Saco office because after I gave it some thought (no map on hand) I would say that you would NOT be ok (unless you go stealth, though still not legal). Ok, so it's further from the old hut than I remember, but what about the Wilderness Protection Area (Pemi), plus the whole Nancy Pond Scenic Area, lots o' boundries to deal with in that neck of the woods. I'd play it safe and call, there's nothing worse than a USFS 2:00 am wake up call or the nice fine that could come with it. Tons of rain this week so you could have some fun crossing in that area. If you have the time email me with the results if you contact Saco, I'd like to know too. See ya on the trails...Paul

4:05 p.m. on October 15, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Thanks

Thank you much. I decided to go another route based on all the info. Maybe I should bring a lifejacket with me. LOL. Happy hiking!!

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply