Glacier N.P.

12:16 p.m. on March 15, 2004 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

I'm planning a backcountry trip to Glacier National Park this summer. The guys and I are planning on flying to Montana (probably to Kalispell), and taking a shuttle to the trailhead once we arrive at the Park. Problem is, I can't seem to find a shuttle running between the airport and the Park. Anyone know of one? Also, we'll have to ship our stove since we'll be flying. Anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks!

2:05 p.m. on March 15, 2004 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,258 forum posts

It's been too long since I've been to Glacier, and I always got there in my own transport, so I can't help you there.

But, on the stoves - There are several options. Interestingly enough, in a lot of cases, you can ship on the air-freight service run by the airline you are flying on and the stove will actually go on the same plane (no, don't try to understand the logic, this is regulations, not logic).

Better, and somewhat cheaper in my experience, is to use UPS or FedEx. Go to your local office (the real ones, not the dropoff points) of either and ask for the current rules on packaging and labelling. Basically, they are to have no fuel or fuel smell in your stove or fuel bottles. This is fairly easy, just by purging and letting the stove and fuel bottles air out for a day in the sun. Packing is pretty much the usual put it in a large enough box with bubblewrap or styro peanuts (put the stove and bottle in plastic bags, since the styro peanuts tend to crumble and get particles in the wrong parts of the stove). If you have a friend near the airport or know someone who runs a store there, or even a motel you stay at for a night before heding for the park, you can ship to them. If not, both UPS and FedEx will hold for pickup in many locations. You may have some problem or taxi expense getting to the office to pick up, but your local office can help you figuring out the least problematic location. I have done all those and they work pretty well (I did waste a lot of time finding the UPS place once, but that's part of travelling). By the way, if the desk clerk at UPS or FedEx says they don't do it, ask for the supervisor and have them look it up in their handbook. I haven't had to do that, but a friend did. I usually find that several people in the office are backpackers or climbers themselves and know all the things to do.

Report back here after your trip with a TR and especially exactly how you end up doing the stove shipping, including current cost.

2:11 p.m. on April 11, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

I don't know the best way to get from the Kalispell airport to the Park (30 miles), but the following numbers may help (area code 406):
Airport Shuttle Service 752-2842
DC Cab 892-3001
Flathead-Glacier Transportation 892-3390

Once in West Glacier, there is a hiker shuttle that operates during the peak season:
http://www.glacierparkinc.com/index.cfm?action=activities.transportation.shuttles.shuttles

There are also bike rentals out of West Glacier for local jaunts, and many hitch hike the Going-To-The-Sun Road.

If you rented a car you could also get up to Polebridge.

As for fuel, many of the Ranger Stations have white gas available for free (other campers buy a big container and leave the rest). I suggest going straight to the Apgar Visitor Center when you arrive in West Glacier (or call ahead at 888-7939) to inquire where you can get some. (I'm looking at some right now for visitor use in Many Glacier) Perhaps you can inquire with your airline about transporting your camp stove without fuel.

Have fun,
Marci

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply