MN Backpacking

12:46 p.m. on July 13, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I am a moderatly experienced backcountry and climbing enthusiest. I am now a resident of Southern Minnesota and I am looking for some ideas of areas for a 4-5 day trip in the region. I would like to stay in southern MN or Wisconsin, possibly iowa. Anyone know of some good trips or resources for this area?

8:30 a.m. on July 14, 2006 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hi,

I'm MN as well. I'd say your best first bet would be the Superior Hiking Trail. Great trip. Just google it and you'll come up with tons of resources. Also, the Boundary Waters is fantastic, but that's geared more toward canoe camping, though there's plenty of backcountry hiking there. Hope this helps.

12:24 a.m. on October 3, 2006 (EDT)
8 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

Yes, go to the Superior Hiking Trail. I have been there several times and it has never failed me. I love that place. It is a little far from southern MN, but for a 4-5 day trip you should be okay. One of my favorite sections is Lake Agnes.

1:47 p.m. on October 4, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

The Superior Hiking Trail is quite nice and the southern end may be a short enough drive.

The ice age trail runs through Wisconsin and may be an option for you. I've not tried this trail, but would like to someday. I'd like to try a fall trip in this area, but I'm a bit spooked by the notion of hunters throughout the area in the fall. Post a report if you go, I'd like to hear what you think.
http://www.iceagetrail.org/infocenter/index.html

This is the only longer trail I know of in the area. There are some nice state parks in your area, Whitewater comes to mind. Trails are not long enough for a continual trip, but you can hike to a backpack site inside the park and do day trips.

12:06 a.m. on October 5, 2006 (EDT)
8 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

I live in Wisconsin and had no idea there was an Ice Age Trail. I am very excited and happy you mentioned it. I will try to do it sometime when I get a break from college and tell you about it.

Another place that might be near the person from the first post is Black River State Forest. It is about an hour east of La Crosse, WI. Camping is free, you need to obtain a permit, and then you can just hike in and camp wherever you want as long as you are a mile from your car and 100 meters from any trails. This is also something I have not yet done, yet from pictures on line it looks like a cool place.

6:01 p.m. on October 11, 2006 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I live in Wisconsin also.

With my tedious work schedule I was not able to do much backpacking wise, though I considered bp'ing down in the Black River State Forest. That is somewhere in the 100 mile range from where I live. From what I heard sonds like a wonderful place to hike/camp.

1:50 a.m. on October 23, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I went backpacking on the Border Route Trail in northern Mn a few weeks ago and I put a web page together with pictures from my trip. This is a great place to go but only take on the BRT if your a seasoned backpacker. This was the first Backpack trip I have done in Mn and it was more challenging them some I have done in northern Montana. If you want more info on the BRT I can help or you can link the Border Route Trail Associations web page at the bottom of mine. Cheers and hope you enjoy the pictures.
gtrules.com

12:47 p.m. on October 23, 2006 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,363 forum posts

on the Border trail -

Nice pictures, nice route! I do have a suggestion, though. Lose the overly busy and very distracting background, and think about the contrast in color of your text and that background. The rather loud colors you chose for the initial text do not make for easy reading. Smaller font would help, too. Basically, make the photos the main part of your web page and not the busy distracting background. Can you make the photos larger?

I would also like to see more commentary on what the various pictures are. What were the conditions like (other than "lots of tricky footing")? Temperature? Bugs?

3:28 p.m. on October 23, 2006 (EDT)
8 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

Those are good pictures, they remind me of the Superior Hiking Trail. That probably makes sense as they are both in northern MN. Maybe I'll have to check out this trail the next time I am planning a hiking trip up north.
Thanks for the pics and info,

-Daniel

6:05 a.m. on October 24, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Bill S
I took some of your advise with my page and I hope to have it finished up some time this week. Cheers

6:49 a.m. on November 12, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Added some captions to my photo's and made my page more complete!

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply