Trails around Cheyenne

7:18 p.m. on September 5, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
58 forum posts

I am having trouble finding good backpacking/hiking trails around Cheyenne WY(where I Live) Laramie WY or Ft Collins CO. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

11:55 p.m. on September 5, 2006 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

Dave -
There are some excellent guidebooks to those areas. There is a climbing shop in Fort Collins just off the CSU campus. I forget the name just now, but visited it several times when my son was in grad school there. They had several good guides to RMNP and other nearby parts of the Rockies. I did several backpacks out of the Longs Peak Ranger Station in RMNP, including a couple to places that served as base camps for climbing a couple routes on Longs (you will need a reservation for these well in advance). One good source is Lou Dawson's 2 volume guide to the Colorado Fourteeners, which I like better than Roach's Fourteener book. But both have a lot of information about trails and campsites that can be used without climbing the peaks (most are walkups).

My next door neighbor's daughter went to grad school in Laramie. I talked to her several times while she was there about the backpacking. There is an outing club at UW that can supply you with information (she said they are friendly to non-UW folks and will give you lots of ideas). I would ask her if she had any specific guides to recommend, but she lives in Oregon these days.

You aren't all that far from the Wind Rivers and Tetons, or the High Uintas in northern Utah (best approached from the Wyoming side, in my opinion). They would work for 3-day weekends, certainly. When I was returning from the Boy Scout National Jamboree last summer, I had stayed overnight in Rock Springs. This is a few hours from Laramie, but I was able to drive to the trailhead for Kings Peak (Utah's High Point) and comfortably hike to a campsite that allowed a leisurely climb of the peak, return to stay one more night, and hike out the next day with plenty of time to get to Salt Lake. Leisurely 3-day trip, but you could cram it into a 2-day weekend, especially if you just camped and didn't go for the peak. There were lots of other potential campsites in the area as well.

The Tetons and Winds have a huge number of potential hikes, and there are hiking guides to both. Just about anyplace you hike in them will be great.

5:24 p.m. on September 6, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

There's a ton of trails in or around that area. A good place to start is in Ft. Collins. Stop by JAX up on North College. They have a ton of guidebooks and a friendly, non-REI yuppie type, staff. If you drive up Poudre canyon, there are several good day hikes (as well as some good trout fishing, if you toss a fly). Vedauwoo, WY (between you and Laramie on the right) offers some fun hours of hiking and good climbing, again, if that's your thing. Lastly, if you want some real fun, drive up to Casper and jump on the Jim Brider trail up through the Big Horns.

6:40 p.m. on September 6, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
58 forum posts

Thanks for the Info. I love JAX half my gear is from there. thanks for the recommendations on the guide book Bill. If you can tell me about any other hikes you have done in RMNP that would be great I have a map but it would be nice to know which trails are good and which are heavily populated or poorly marked and things like that. the Tetons would be nice too but that is definitely a longer drive.

10:21 p.m. on September 9, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

Oh yeah, I'm sure you already know this, but just in case, don't forget that Sierra Trading Post has their outlet store there in Cheyenne. w00t!

11:14 a.m. on September 11, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
58 forum posts

I know they have the outlet here but what they have can be kind of hit or miss. Some times they have good stuff and some times they have nothing.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply