bataan death March (the Memorial)

10:05 a.m. on December 18, 2006 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Andrew J.

Has anyone participated in this event. It is 26 Miles in New Mexico. Up and down some hills. My mother participated in it and said it was outstanding. I want to give it a go. Since I was in the Marine Corps I still feel this would be a good way to honor the fallen. Any thoughts. Here is a link. Oops did not know I could not post web sites. If you want to see what it's about you can find a website on it. Still want your thoughts.

3:26 p.m. on December 20, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I did it back in 1996 or 1997. It is a pretty good walk. There were several different ways to enter. There are Team Heavy and Team Light, Individual Heavy and Light, Runners, and some that just went part way for the fun. Most of it is in the sand along trails and some short routes along the road. There are stations set up along the way and volunteers that provide water, energy gell, oranges, etc. There were still a few survivors that still attended back then.
There is limited lodging at Ft Bliss so they let some of us use an old hangar to stay in. Teams from several world armies and runners compete for time in the event. The SAS seem to win every year. We knew they had us beat when they trotted by us in formation with their rucksacks on. It is, in my opinion, an excellent way to honor the memory of the fallen. I would go just to meet the survivors and hear their stories. Good luck if you go!
Heff

5:44 p.m. on December 28, 2006 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Andrew J.

Thanks Heff,

What branch were you in or what team were you on when you competed in the event. I would off course go heavy.

9:26 p.m. on December 28, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Army, for 14 years now. I was in 1/12 FA from Ft Sill, OK when I went. I spend my time at Ft Meade these days in a SMU. The march isn't really that hard as long as your feet are ready. Nothing technical and pretty much trail the entire length. Good Luck

7:04 p.m. on January 12, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

I've done it four times - 2000, 2004-2006. It's a great event. Every time I marched in the "military light" category. It's a great event, and I highly recommend participating.

You're probably not going to get billeting on White Sands (assuming you are military). I'd get a room in Las Cruces - it's much closer than El Paso or Fort Bliss, which is important when you are looking at a 3:30am vs. 4:15am wakeup.

In Las Cruces, you can't beat La Posta de Mesilla for great Mexican (New Mexican, really) food.

7:05 p.m. on January 12, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

Forgot to add that you can stay in the gym on WSMR for free, or you can stay in the campground. Not sure how much it is to stay in the campground. People I know that stayed in the gym didn't get a whole lot of sleep.

www.bataanmarch.com

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply