Tetons?

11:13 p.m. on January 7, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

I would like to go to the tetons in wyoming this coming summer, may or june 2007. Does anyone have any recommendations of trails, points of interest that you would recommend or would avoid. Any comments in general? Will the higher peaks be overcrowded that time of year?
thanks

11:20 a.m. on January 8, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts

Doesn't usually get crowded until around the 4th of July weekend, through labor day weekend.

There is usually a bunch of snow in the high country in May and into June (which is why its not crowded).

-Brian in SLC

1:06 p.m. on January 8, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

Brain, how much snow? glacier type stuff? or enough to use snowshoes, etc?

2:47 p.m. on January 8, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts

Depends on the winter season and spring temps, precip, etc, so, hard to predict right now.

I've climbed the south side of the Grand in early July and only touched rock for around ten feet one season, for example.

Snowshoes? No way. If you need snowshoes in May or June in the Tetons you've made a huge tactical error and will probably die in a wet snow avalanche. Trying anything of any steepness with loose, springtime, wet snow near (or above) your boot cuffs would be very bad. Early starts also prudent. Gotta be firm snow or get off it. Also, best to have reasonable skills with an ice ax too. Leading killer in the Tetons is slides on snow.

Really not much in the way of glaciers there. Middle Teton Glacier, Teton Glacier, Skillet, etc. But, glaciers really won't be too visible in early season. Seems like they're shrinking every year, too.

Early summer/late spring is a good time for snow gully type climbing, though. But, there's a spring thaw avy cycle that is hard to predict every year (and seems like sometimes more than one).

Bunches of early season rock climbs to do, though, that aren't up high, or, are on south ascpects. Sometimes having some snow in the gullies on the descents make these climbs more pleasant, if you can handle the snow technically. Routes on the south side of Symmetry Spire, Ice Point, Cube Point, Disappointment, etc, come to mind. Guides Wall, Baxter's Pinnacle, etc.

Are you climbing, or, hiking? This is the "backcountry" forum...so...

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

5:27 p.m. on January 8, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

thanks for the info...i was planning on backpacking for 3-4 nights with my friend. I have ordered the national geographich topo of the area a few days ago, so i will have a better idea of what trails you have listed on the south side in a week.
thanks again

6:54 a.m. on January 18, 2007 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Braden!

I backpacked there about five summers ago with my son, daughter, and a college buddy! It was stunning. True, there were crowds as it was June. But the Paintbrush-Cascade Loop Trail that goes up over the divide from Jenny Lake and then returns to the lower elevation is a great hike! The views down to the lowland below, the skirting of the Grand itself, and the meadows you pass - are wonderful! We actually had to cross one long snowfield (it was fine) up in the pass. I have been to Glacier, Boulder River in Montana, the Wind River a few times, (India and Turkey, too - whole 'nother post!) and I must say that the Tetons are a great journey!

As long as you can get past the seeing other people thing - it is a great trip. There are other great trails there, but the Paintbrush-Cascade loop was featured in Backpacker magazine one time, so I "put in" for it in early Spring. And we were lucky enough to have our reservation granted.

A worthwhile hike!

Good Luck!

Scott S

9:34 p.m. on February 14, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Well, I confirmed the dates that I am going to the Tetons; the second week in May to be exact. Hopefully this early date wont be a problem with snow melt (or the lack of). Will it?

6:55 p.m. on February 15, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts

Here's some info from Exum from May of 2001.

http://www.exumguides.com/news/2001snowpack.shtml

Kinda shows what might be more or less typical snow levels for that time of year.

May is typically pretty snowy in the Teton high country.

-Brian in SLC

November 27, 2014
Quick Reply