Hiking the Grand Canyon in June

2:07 p.m. on March 18, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

I have reservations at Phantom Ranch for two nights at the end of June. This will be my first serious venture below the rim. I'm in pretty good physical shape; the only thing that has me worried is the heat.

I've read quite a bit, and I've read most of the scare pieces about the heat.

What I'm looking for is some real advice from someone who has done it. Is the heat as unrelenting and difficult to deal with as is written? Are there specific things one should do other than the obvious to make it more bearable? And, most importantly, would you do it again at this time of year?

Thanks in advance.

6:28 p.m. on March 18, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. stevet

Most likely you will have temps in the low 100's in the inner canyon (Tonto Trail to Phantom Ranch)from 11am until about 5pm. But, it can be closer to 120F, so be prepared. Start hiking at, or before first light. The trail is wide and easy to follow (whether S. Kaibab or Bright Angel) so travel by moonlight and/or headlamp is easy to do.

In hiking into the canyon, plan to arrive at Phantom Ranch by 11am. If you are in reasonably good physical conditon this is about 3.5 hrs down the S. Kaibab and 4.5 hrs down the Bright Angel.

Suggest hiking out via the Bright Angel. There is potable water along the way, and much more shade opportunity. Again, an early start is a must. Maybe a 4am start. Figure your hike out pace will at 1/2 your hike in pace. The early start will get you well above Indian Gardens and the worst of the heat by lunch time.

If you are staying in the dorm, or cabins you will only need food, toothbrush, water and some 1st aid items. Maybe a change of socks. If camping, nothing more than a sleeping bag liner and a pad, tent or tarp. For rain gear in June, just pack a big plastic garbage sack. You'll only need it if you stop and it is windy. Bottom line, travel light.

For what to wear, I usually have nylon shorts, a silkweight capilene t-shirt, trail runners, and a broad rim Tilley hat. Others like loose fitting, long sleeve shirts (just preference and sun sensitivity).

Hopefully my ramblings are close to the info you want, if not repost with additional questions. Steve

8:55 p.m. on March 21, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. harry, Hk

We had to hike in the AM on a weeklong trip last week. It was hot, hot. Try to break the trip out into 2 days with a stay at Indian Gardens if possible

September 3, 2014
Quick Reply