VA Trip suggestions

8:19 a.m. on March 29, 2007 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

My wife and I are planning a backpacking trip for Easter weekend. . .thinking about the Covington, VA area but it's not set in stone. We would love a heads up on trails in Shenandoahs or the general area. Very open to suggestions: we want to head sount of our home (Pittsburgh area), up to six-eight hours in the car. Ideas?

11:06 a.m. on March 29, 2007 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

If you havent already tried it, Backpacker.com has a decent database on trails by state. It contains information that they have published as well as user suggested places. They usually include a topo map, which is tied to Google maps. Some entries have pictures as well.

Localhikes.com might be another good resource, which contains reviews of people who have actually done the hike.

cheers.

12:07 p.m. on March 29, 2007 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

Thanks a million!

12:10 p.m. on March 29, 2007 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Just curious...

What part of the 'Burgh are you from?

If you can venture further south, I highly recomend a backpacking trip to Cumberland Island National Seashore, Saint Marys, Ga.

The island was once owned by the Carnegies - yea, those Carnegies.

Ed Geary
Bethel Park native
Slippery Rock Alumni

9:56 a.m. on April 1, 2007 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

Ed,
I live right down the pike from good ol' SRU (which is where I spent my college days as well) in Butler. . .we actually live between Slippery Rock and Butler. I looked at the National Park's page for Cumberland Island, and it looks like a future trip site. I don't think we'll make it for this short break from teaching. Thanks for the tip!

Todd

5:06 a.m. on April 2, 2007 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Todd, teacher from SRU...P.E. by chance?

My wife ended up with a Masters in PE and I in Psychology. We graduated way back - 1982. I was a TKE who lived in the house next to the hot dog shop on Main St. (later moved to Elm St.)

My fondest memories always include Bob's Sub.

Yes, by all means try to get to Cumberland at least once (between late October and early March). I gurantee you will go back many times.

2:00 p.m. on April 8, 2007 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

BOB'S SUBS! Great place! On the other hand, check this out: http://www.northcountrybrewing.com/ Owned and operated by superb people, Bob and Jodi McCafferty. Believe it or not, Slippery Rock has a real bar! I didn't attend SRU until the nineties (B.S in Education: English and M.A in English). I work with two guys at Seneca Valley SD named Leo Stefanacci and Stan Zimmerman who attended SRU around then. Do you know either of them? Thanks for the input and "it's a a small world after all. . ." Cheers.

Todd

3:09 p.m. on May 2, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
77 forum posts

West Virginia has a place called the Dolly Sods which is a great place to backpack. I took a group from BCM there backpacking. They have a decent web site. Also, the Laurel Highlands is a nice place to backpack. I took a group of scouts out there and it is a really nice 70 mile hike. Very clean and friendly people. It isnt really that far from ya. There is also a decent web site on the Laurel Highlands. The AT trail goes long the skyline drive in the Shenandoah nat'l park (Blue ridge). If you have a REI or EMS store close by, they have the maps (nat'l geographic maps) for this area. Also you could look at the Manistee Nat'l forest up by Cadillac Michigan if your not dead set going south.

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply