Good backcountry/wilderness hikes in NM

1:15 a.m. on August 11, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hi,

I am looking for some good backcountry/wilderness hikes in NM. I have been most of the usual places such as the Gila Wilderness, Pecos Wilderness, parts of the Ruidoso area, and the San Juan Basin multiple times. Does anyone out there have any really fun, isolated hikes (particularly day hikes) in NM? The more adventurous the route, the better it is. Any info would be great! Thanks!

Drew

12:05 a.m. on November 5, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

Have you ever checked out the Bisti Bad Lands near Farmington NM

8:15 p.m. on November 14, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

The Bisti is a good one--no trails, so bring a GPS.
In southern New Mexico there is White Sands,near Alamosa, also no trails.

3:26 a.m. on November 15, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

Places I haven't been but want to go in Northern New Mexico: the lower end of Chama Canyon, north of road's end at monk's house (perhaps very rugged and feasibilty not clear to me); a traverse from Santa Fe Ski Bowl to Cowles (on skis): perhaps also the major cliff dwellings site a bit southeast of Farmington.
In Southern New Mexico: Gila Mountains, Organ Mountains.

Among places I've already hiked with various degrees of satisfaction, all in North: Hermits Peak west of Las Vegas NM. (very nice); La Luiz and Canyon Del Aqua trails in Sandias (nice); Truchas Peak area via Cowles (pretty nice and a long way); the region west of Cuba (an extensive wilderness plateu, most interesting at margins); the weird mini-mesa near highway between Santa Fe and Las Vegas overlooking obscure Civil War battle (exciting, short class 3 climb plus ardous one-hour approach); Also, the long, Manzanos crest trail, which felt surprisingly remote 30 years ago (not exceptionally attractive) and where I was threatened by cougar.

October 22, 2014
Quick Reply