Wonderland trail?

10:05 a.m. on August 22, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

A friend and I are flying in from Chicago to hike the Wonderland trail and have been unsuccessful as yet in finding transportation to Rainier from Sea Tac. Is anybody aware of nay kind of bus shuttle or public transportation option that would be cheaper than a cab or car rental? We haven't been able to come up with anything yet. We are looking to start 9/15. Thanks!

11:12 a.m. on August 22, 2007 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
36 forum posts

IIRC, Grey Line runs tour busses from the Seattle area to Paradise at Mt. Rainier National Park. You might call them and inquire. I hate to think what a cab would cost from SeaTac to Paradise.

11:18 a.m. on August 24, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

Thanks-- I actually did call them and they said they have a new policy against not taking hikers. :( You need to be on the bus round trip.

11:38 a.m. on August 24, 2007 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
36 forum posts

Well, back to the old drawing board. Sorry to hear that.

2:10 p.m. on September 1, 2007 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
479 forum posts

Check first to see how much of the trail is open. You may only be able to do it in sections. I understand that the north and west side's damage is not repaired.

Call REI (.com) in Seattle about transportation.

2:29 p.m. on September 4, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

Thanks for the suggestion about REI... I'll try calling them and see what they can come up with.

The park just recently started issuing permits for thru hikes maybe within the last month or so. A few campsites are closed but with some minor adjustments everything should be good.

1:22 a.m. on September 8, 2007 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
479 forum posts

I did it over labor day a few years back. I'd do it again in a heart beat but would take 30 days to do it and probably section hike it, leaving out the part between Paradise and Box Canyon.

We did it counter clockwise from Longmire and got the road out of the way to start with. It made a very nice ending of the trip instead of walking along a road for the end.

Take LOTs of batteries/chips and/or film!! Take a tripod. You get really really deep dark in some BIG trees on the north and west side.

See if you can find a book on Rainier area Mushrooms. Only a few plants, shrubs and trees. A gazillion fungi

Make sure that you can walk up stairs with a big pack for hours and hours on end. Some crazed sadist of a trail engineer put small logs across the trail at about 1 and 3/4 steps apart. You just keep stepping up on the same dang leg from breakfast to lunch -- you see, he knew when you would swap up-legs. I think somebody mentioned that it is 28,000' uphill. And yes, it is uphill both ways.

You can probably still cache at Sunrise and Mowich. Check ahead of time. Make sure they are mouse/rat proof. All of the group shelters were overrun by mice.

We only had two days of measurable rain, but it was cold when it did.

Wish I had taken pictures of all of the bridges. Also first picture of the day, have somebody hold up the number of fingers representing day of the trip. You will loose count of which day you are on.

Too bad you will miss huckleberry season by about a week.

Stop often take tons of pics.

Best trek pole bottom is the wide rubber ends. Pointy tips sink deep into the duff in much of the trail. Cane end rubber types work best. Lots of water along the trail. A few places you will have to filter/settle glacial till water before you can pump or drink it. I'd guess most water is clean coming from uphill.

Hot shower at Visitor Center. I think it was a dollar and included towel and soap. Just go up to gift center cash register. Longmire Lodge had better food.

You are going to LOVE this trip!

Hope you find a ride.

12:19 p.m. on September 12, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

Wow thanks for all the great info! We actually wound up renting a car because we could figure out no other option, but we found one relatvely cheap-- under $200. If the trip is as fantastic as I am expecting it to be the cost should be well wotrh it though! :)

9:16 a.m. on September 16, 2007 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
479 forum posts

Trip report! Trip report! Trip Report!

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply