White Rocks in GWNF

8:29 p.m. on September 1, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
181 forum posts

I joined this forum just about a year ago. I have asked some really stupid questions and some less-than stupid ones, and I think I'm finally going to make it out on my first overnighter with some good background info in a couple of weeks. Health problems in my family and just time to use for myself has been the main reason it has taken so long.

I asked a few places and got some helpful advice on the White Rocks hiking trail in the GWNF. I really like the hikingupwards and midatlantichikes websites for trail information and maps, and they have given me some ideas. I found out, by mistake, that there is a White Rocks campground in Virginia near Blacksburg that is different from the trail. This northern trail just seemed to fit what I wanted for a first major hike.

So, as an older guy doing his first overnighter, probably solo since my son hasn't told me he might like to try hiking yet, what does anyone here think of this trail? If you are familiar with it, you might know what I am talking about as far as:
I plan on making it an overnight hike, taking my time obviously since it's easily do-able in 5 total hours perhaps (~9 mile loop). There are a few good campsites, and I plan on using the one about midway through for my tent site, with alternate plans if that's not available. Water is available at the first site, close by for the others.

Pretty much certain this is the one, and I'm real excited about it. It's about a 5 hour drive away, and I have almost the entire week to leave, so unless the entire week is lousy weather, I should be fine.

Suggestions welcome, and I certainly thank everyone for all they've taught me so far.

Steve

10:04 p.m. on September 1, 2007 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

I can't offer any specific advice to the GWNF because I'm not familiar with it. However what I would suggest is that for your first overnighter you pick a very easy destination - and depending on your comfort level and confidence that you have all your gear in order - maybe even very close to a trailhead.

This way you do sort of a "trial run", to make sure your gear works as you expect, and that you have everything you need with you.

Once you've done this "trial", you could do something bigger.

I dont' know if what you described in the GWNF is like this or not. Anyway, it's just a thought :)

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply