About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Good Rookie Hikes in Ga...

8:22 p.m. on November 4, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Hi it's Adam the annoying new guy... I live in Atlanta, Ga and I am getting my "gear" together and want to go on a few light overnight trips to get my pack and gear right. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions of some trails close to Atlanta that would be ideal for these types of trips. Something close and easy to test my checklist and not look like an idiot.
Thanks

7:27 a.m. on November 5, 2007 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

4 hour drive south east of ya....Cumberland Island National Seashore. Get on the ferry at Saint Marys, Ga

you must call for reservations. they limit the number of people allowed on the island

3:10 p.m. on November 5, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
96 forum posts

A fun one but ranked strenuous (I personally don't agree with it) is the Coosa Backcountry trail (loop) at Vogel State Park. I think it's something about 13 miles most of which is pretty easy. The last 2 miles have some good ascents but nothing a little time & patience can't beat. I use it for training miles. I do it in a day but it's a fun 2 dayer that can have you at the overlook above Vogel in the AM if you want.

The AT around Blood Mountain is pretty easy and fun. Access can be from Neels Gap or Lake Winfield Scott (close to Vogel). Loop trails can be made from Win.Scott to the AT and back using the 2 traisl accessing the AT form there.

Also the AT from Woody Gap (just below Blood) has good stretches that are nice heading either direction (Blood 1 way and Amicalola the otehr way). A good destination is Long Creek Falls when heading towards Amicalola but there are trail heads closer (accessed form Suches) if you can find a Chatahooche Natl Forest road map.

Get the maps for the Cohutta/Big Frog Wilderness. Easy to make awesome trips there but you'll be spending an hour or so on gravel roads getting to the trail heads.

cheers

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply