Glacier Nat'l. Park, MT

3:20 p.m. on January 26, 2008 (EST)
24 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Next June I hope to be riding my new touring motorcycle from here in the Philadelphia area to Glacier to see it, hike and camp in it, etc. Any advice, experiences, local knowledge of where to go & what to avoid, even regarding moto-touring, is most appreciated!

Thanks, Paul

4:39 p.m. on January 26, 2008 (EST)
19 reviewer rep
160 forum posts

Sounds awesome, after I get done with Yosemite Park I am hoping to visit Glacier, but Yellowstone and The Grand Tetons are also on the list. Might be awhile before I get there. Since I'm starting around the end of May.

11:06 a.m. on January 30, 2008 (EST)
24 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Mike,

Re: Tetons, if you're in there for some length of time, hike / camp in the Bridger Wilderness. I did a climbing trip there years ago following the Green River to it's source, a glacier melting above a pristine Alpine valley, climbed a peak named Winifred next to Gannet (highest in WY), and it has stayed with me since 1988 like it was last week- highly recommended !

Anybody have any info / knowledge of Glacier Nat'l. Park ???

~Paul H.

6:50 a.m. on January 31, 2008 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Hey Paul,

I must say: hiking in Glacier National Park has been one of the great trips of my life. It was amazing! A good college buddy of mine and I entered the park from the Chief Mountain, NE area of the park. We parked his vehicle just South of the Canadian-US Border in the lot and hiked in, with Chief Mountain to our left. The area we hiked was a loop trail system that stayed just south and a little East of Waterton. Our route took us to three campgrounds and a day hike to the top of a ridge looking down on a glacial lake.

Though there were many people around, our voices got hoarse singing silly tunes along the trail. I am a music teacher (my friend isn't), and we even made up lyrics to "Creative Trail Songs" because we were told by the Park Rangers and two other Montana Backpacking Stores that the grizzlies were "down low" near the trails with water being in short supply that summer (2001). They had recommended pepper spray and bells and "to talk alot and loudly." That got our attention. One customer in one of the stores even said to us under his breath, "I always pack a revolver. Not taking any chances." Well of course we didn't do that as it is illegal for one thing.

Though we saw no bears (perhaps it was our harmonic dischord?) we DID get chased off a lake shore by a trotting moose! It was amazing. No one was hurt. With the poor eyesight (yet incredible sense of smell) of a moose, I doubt it was actually after us. But it's stature and speed and huge rack got our attention. We dove into the thicket as it passed by. Paul later told me that he thought he heard it humming, "Get Off Of My Beach".

We reported it to the Glacier Rangers and they said that they had received one other complaint from some backpackers about a "moody moose" by that lake.

The fly fishing was excellent, the views out of this world.

Paul, I highly recommend this trip. Really anywhere in the park, but this NE quadrangle was superb. I hear that the Highline Trail, Iceberg Lake, and the less frequented Western edge of the park are all amazing.

One additional trip I recommend, to second the other poster, is the Tetons. We did the Paintbrush Divide/Cascade Canyon Loop. We crossed snowfields and basically moved near the base of the Grand Teton itself. It was a stunning backpacking trip enjoyed by my former roommate Paul, my daughter and son. The photo ops were incredible.

Good luck on your Glacier Trip! I hope you can enjoy the park without unnecessary singing and bellowing:-)!

Scott S
Minnesota

11:15 p.m. on February 3, 2008 (EST)
19 reviewer rep
160 forum posts

Paul, thanks for the info.

I hope to get to Glacier after the other three parks, I guess I'll take two months to explore all 4 four parks. Prolly need a whole year to really enjoy each park, lol. =)

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply