dogs on app trail

10:24 p.m. on January 27, 2008 (EST)
(Guest)

can you thru hike the app trail with a dog?

5:45 a.m. on January 29, 2008 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

Yes, All except for the Smokies No dogs alowed. I can't remember if Baxter state park and Shenendoa national park allow dogs. My guess is no dogs in Baxter. If you get the Wingfoot guide it will tell you for sure and possibly list some kenels that take care of hiker's dogs. But the rest of the trail dogs are alowed. When I thru hiked in 04 several people started off with dogs and kept them in a kenel while they went thru the smokies. I'm not a vet but it seems that hiking is tougher on dogs feet and joints than it is on ours. Every person I met with a dog at the begining of the trail sent it home before the halfway point because they were woried about thier dogs feet or joints. Just remember that you will lose friends realy quick if you let your wet dog climb all over peoples sleeping bags in the shelter... have fun!

7:30 a.m. on January 29, 2008 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,157 forum posts
No dogs in Baxter SP

No dogs are allowed in Baxter:

4. PETS OR RELEASING ANIMALS: Pets or other domestic animals are not allowed in the Park. Releasing or introducing any animal in the Park is prohibited.

You can see the full Baxter State Park rules at:
http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/rules/allrules.html

6:46 p.m. on March 16, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
181 forum posts

There's a photo slide show on one of the newspapers' web site that I work for about a man who thru-hiked the AT with his dog. There was a series of stories also, but I'm not sure it's still available. His dog was a little old, and the dog had to take some rest time with friends while the people continued on. And I can't remember if story detailed the 'no-dog' areas. You might want to look it up.

Links to the slide show are on the home page (www.dailymail.com).

11:52 p.m. on March 16, 2008 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Hey Steve, Good to see you back. Have you been able to get out on any more trips?

9:52 p.m. on March 17, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
181 forum posts

Thanks Tom,

Nope, still have to manage my time with my wife. I'm trying to get one of my grandchildren to take off with me soon, though. As much as I liked the solitude, I think one of them may just enjoy the beauty of it all and I would really like to introduce them to backpacking. The oldest of the three, the only grandson is 14, while the two granddaughters are 13 and 12.

I'm going to try and do a short Cranberry maybe this spring, although I really liked the convenience of the spacing of the camps on White Rocks, and whichever of them might go with me would probably like the short hops between camps there also.

I've discovered there is a trail close by home, Kanawha Trace, which might allow me to do some short overnighters, but without the altitude. I liked the mountains, so it may be a little of a disappointment, but most of the nice trails are 3-5 hours away.

I've peeked in once in a while, just didn't see anything to speak up about. You all do such a great job, you know.

Until the next peek ...

November 23, 2014
Quick Reply