Peru (Early Planning Stages)

3:10 a.m. on February 14, 2008 (EST)
9 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

In the very early planning stages for a trip to Peru.

Some areas of interest that I already have scribbled down are:

Macho Picchu - (Wayna Picchu Peak)
Urubamba Valley
Ollantaytambo (village)
Inca Trail
Colca Canyon
Puno - Lake Titicaca
Lares Trek - Sacred Valley - Condor Pass
Mollepata Classic (Long trail to Machu Picchu
Classic Trail - 4 day trip

Other then those places I plan on spending a day or two in Lima, and Cusco.

Thinking I will need about 3 weeks in the country to really experience it. As I do not want to be rushed to get from one thing to the next. I also want to make it well worth the air fare ($1,100 on avg - round trip).

I'd like to plan out the trip, so that there is a decent mix of backpacking and hiking, as well as enjoying the night life in places like Cusco.

The difficult part is going to be the packing of gear. I am planning the trip for somewhere between June and August of this year. I have to have enough gear to be able to spend comfortable time in the cities, while also being able to throw everything on my back and go back packing, in the 11,000ft altitude.

Any ideas are welcome, as well as trip partners. Right now, its me, and perhaps another buddy of mine. My lady thinks its to ambitious of a trip to really plan. Having never traveled out of the country before.

1:04 p.m. on February 14, 2008 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts

Doing all of them is a bit ambitious for 3 weeks. There are a number of good books about trekking in Peru. I believe that Peru recently (within the past year or 2) has placed restrictions on Machu Pichu (assuming you hike the Inca Trail), including a permit that has to be obtained well in advance and possibly a requirement to hire a local guide

2:58 a.m. on February 15, 2008 (EST)
9 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

Yeah I looked around and found out that Machu Pichu is restricted. They allow only 500 people on the trail at any given time. Which narrows it down to about 200 people and 300 porters. They are guided trips as well.

Found one for around $485 though.

2:07 p.m. on May 8, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

I lived in Lima for a short time in the late '80s and still have family there. No more bombings, rationed electricity and Chinese Communist terrorism these days really, so the back country is much safer. I never felt more alive in this world than when I lived in Peru. Do visit the gold museum, and above all, the Cathedral of the Franciscans. Remember, don't ever eat fruit without peeling it first, don't ask me why I know this. And some of those cute girls on the corner are guys - the girls are on the other corner across the street! :-)

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply