potential rmnp trip...

11:08 a.m. on March 17, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

i'm looking at potentially taking a trip to the rocky mountains this summer. i'll be solo, so a loop would be an ideal. i'm looking to take a three or four night trek, but i'm a bit perplexed on potential targets. it seems most of the trails i read about are shorter in scope. one interesting trip i read about was a loop involving the north inlet trail, passing by several lakes, and connecting to the east inlet trail out to complete the loop; however, maps that i've found online do not show the trails connecting at all. does anyone have any insights there?

if not, can anyone suggest another possible loop trip to make. i'd be looking to take the trip over the summer---late june through mid july. any sort of mountain experience that i have is limited to a small amount of time in the smoky mountains, so the trip from ohio to the rocky mountains really intrigues me. i'm a sucker for those pictures from trail reports of mountain lakes and waterfalls. can anyone give me some suggestions to begin looking up on the internet before hitting a book store and actually investing money in the process?

thanks for your time and take care of yourselves,

chamberlain

12:06 p.m. on March 17, 2008 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,622 reviewer rep
5,396 forum posts

Since you say your experience is limited to the Smokeys, I would note that in RMNP you will be at a LOT higher altitude. So for the first 2 or 3 days, your lungs will be screaming for more O's. If you are limited to 3 or 4 nights, plan on what you have done in 2 to 3 days in the Smokeys. After the first 3 or 4 days, you should be acclimatized enough to go to the distances you have done in the Smokeys. Also, remember that the terrain includes a lot more vertical than the Smokeys.

You might get the National Geographic Weekend Explorer National Park set that includes RMNP. It has most of the trails included. This is computer software that will run on PC or Mac, and will allow you to print out just the sections you plan on using. There is a "paper" version as well (on a waterproof, tear-resistant plastic).

12:51 p.m. on March 17, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

i should have prefaced my post by saying i planned on spending a day or two prior car camping someplace, maybe taking short dayhikes to get acclimated a bit. the three or four nights would be the actual backcountry hiking i'd be doing. i'm hoping that will give me a bit of time to adjust to the change in altitude.

a wkend explorer edition, huh? i might check into that. i have seen software before, but i'm thining it was a full edition or something. i think it ran around 100 bucks, which would be a bit more than i'd want to spend. i'd at least like to get some groundwork investigation done to make sure it's a go before doing so at least. thanks for that suggestion. i'll be sure to keep it in mind.

take care of yourselves,

chamberlain

December 25, 2014
Quick Reply