Climbing Mt. Mitchell North Carolina Mother's Day Weekend

2:45 p.m. on April 3, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I am going back to climb this dang mountain. Some may remember I drove there to climb it xmas and got sick and did not plan for the weather properly. I just wanted you to know I have bought my ticket and will be back up there on may 8th through may 10th and fly back on may 11th. I cannot wait...

5:22 p.m. on May 17, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Just wanted everyone to know the hike was amazing. It rained most of the day going up. Pored at night with very strong winds. Hike down took about a third of the time probably. Amazing views. We took the shorter path up and the longer path down. And there was no food at the summit as we had planned for. Dehydration is cool. :-) Thanks for all the comments. :O

9:30 p.m. on May 17, 2008 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,272 forum posts

Great, Sigsterr! Keep building your experience and skill level. I will say, though, you are underestimating yourself in your post in the other forum. At 34, you have at least 40 years of hiking and the outdoors to work toward that list of 1000 places you have to hike and climb. In my late 60s, I improving skills with every hike, even after a full lifetime in the woods and hills. And a fair amount of my hiking and climbing is with others who are 10-20 years older than I am and still going strong.

8:54 a.m. on May 18, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Well thanks Bill. Just a little info on me...
I am 34 yrs old, 6'1" 200 lbs in great shape. I run over 20 miles a week. I am trying to find my next hike. I realized I was carrying much more than I needed. My pack will be about 10 lbs lighter on my next trip. We started at 3300 ft and hiked to 6684 ft. Much easier once we got our packs off our backs for the last 1.2 miles up. I want to do a hike the last week of july lasting 2 to 4 days. We will be flying to a local airport and taking a rental car to the mountain. I figure 1 or 2 days up and a day down. Much faster for me on the way down. I was thinking about hiking down the grand canyon on the north side to the river. Here is a link to a video about it ( http://www.travelistic.com/video/show/7211/Grand-Canyon-North-Kaibab-Trail,-down ). I am having a hard time finding something. I want to go higher in elevation, but not so high I wont have the acclimation for it. Thanks for any input you do add.

7:34 p.m. on May 18, 2008 (EDT)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,272 forum posts

End of July is not a good time to do the Grand Canyon from either North Rim or South Rim. The bottom half of the trail will be very hot (it's basically Arizona desert, after all). Plan on leaving the bottom with LOTS of water. North Kaibab Trail is very beautiful, so take lots of film, er, forgot, everyone's digital these days, take several gigabytes of memory card and take your time stopping at lots of "Kodak Sites". Sunset and sunrise images in the canyon are particularly spectactular.

OGBO was born and bred a Desert Rat, by the way, so that's familiar territory. My sister still lives in Phoenix (excuussse me! Scottsdale - even though it looks like Phoenix to me), and her daughter the pro mountain biker lives in Flagstaff.

6:25 a.m. on May 20, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I think I will try the Pikes Peak climb. 7000 feet climb ending at over 14k. In your experience, do you think this could be my next climb or should I only attempt something say 10k feet? Figure 3 days to climb up and back down. 2 days up and 1 day down. Here is another link. http://www.trailsandopenspaces.org/trails/pike-barr-trail.htm

12:11 p.m. on May 20, 2008 (EDT)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,272 forum posts

Colorado has over 50 Fourteeners, most (probably all the others) of which are more interesting than Pikes Peak. Long's Peak (in Rocky Mountain NP) is much more interesting via the Keyhole (the standard hiking route, though considered Class 3 - but it isn't really), as is Mt. Elbert (highest peak in Colorado - several good trails rated Class 1, and others used by the Leadville HS crosscountry team for their training runs at Class 2). But both are extremely popular (as is Pikes), so you need to get your permit way in advance. Get either Lou Dawson's or Gerry Roach's Fourteener guides (I prefer Dawson's 2 volume one. The combination of Grey's and Torrey's is pretty interesting and works for a 3 day trip. Bierstadt is another good one. These 3 are Class 2 by their easiest routes, which means wear good boots. Pikes Barr Trail is listed as Class 1, but Class 1 really means you can wear any old shoe or even go barefoot. The Barr Trail actually calls for at least good trail running shoes, if not boots.

7:09 a.m. on May 23, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Thanks for all the information Bill. I just picked up Mountaineering freedom from the hills. I love it so far. I think I need to read this before I do my next climb / hike. I will read the book you recommended next.

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply