About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Winter Hiking In GA

3:15 p.m. on June 13, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hello. I've got my mind set on hiking in Geogria in the January timeframe. I'll be out of the country until December and when I get back I want to hit the trail for 3 to 4 days. I live in the Atlanta area. Can anyone recommend a trail or area during this timeframe? thanks

9:55 p.m. on June 21, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
96 forum posts

The Cohutta/Big Frog Wilderness NW of Ellijay. If the weather is just right you can be in snow on top of Big Frog Mountain.

10:19 p.m. on June 21, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

I agree, a bit of a drive from Atlanta but worth it. Top of big frog is over 4200 ft. Most of Cohutta is in Georgia, while most of Big Frog is in Tennessee.
There are multiple trails, some quite steep.
State trail guide books are very helpful billock, since you can read about all the different trails before you get to the area, and decide which one is best suited to the type of adventure you desire.
They tell you how long each trail is, how difficult, and give you a good description of what you will see on each trail.

Most cost 10 to 20 bucks and cover the whole state, so they are very useful for planning your next trip. They can be purchased online or at your local hiking store. There is a great store in Chattanooga TN. called Rock Creek Outfitters, they also have a nice website.

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply