Rookie Here

4:47 p.m. on July 15, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Hi All,

I posted this in the "Climbing" forum as well which I hope does not disrupt anything. I'm new to this forum. I've become very intrigued by mountaineering, of recent. I have little to no mountaineering experience. I'm 26 and in good shape. I have done a fair amount of strenuous backpacking (Quetico - canoeing; Chimanimani Mountains - Zimbabwe; Colorado, etc) but nothing that would qualifyy as mountaineering, per se.

My question is this: I've been looking at guided expeditions on Mt. Rainier, since through my research this seems to be considered a good jumping off point for people who are interested in this passtime. Is this a reasonable place for an in-shape novice to start(In addition to the research and conditioning I need to do)? I saw that a few outfits even offered McKinley prep courses (that include Ranier summits).

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mbutz60

10:40 p.m. on July 16, 2008 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

I believe there are a few hiking clubs in Seattle that meet and do day hikes.. I'd probably start there, and even on Myspace (may sound wierd, but its effective)

2:18 p.m. on July 17, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Thanks, travelnate! I'll definitely check it out.

8:58 p.m. on September 3, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
153 forum posts

I've heard of guided trips up Shasta and a few others for pretty cheap (on the order of $500 I believe). Of course you usually get what you pay for so I would imagine that there would have to be some sacrifices such as an overly big group. Still might be worth researching.

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply