About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Sleeping Giant Provincial Park

6:27 p.m. on July 20, 2008 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

I'm currently planning a four-day camping/hiking trip to the Sleeping Giant (north shore of Lake Superior) for the August civic holiday weekend (1st-4th) for a group of universty students, some of whom are new to the area. We're planning on doing a little fishing, climbing (non-technical), and wildlife spotting, too! I'm going to incorporate some teaching on LNT, bear safety, and the 10 essentials, among other things. Should be a lot of fun...

2:10 p.m. on August 8, 2008 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Well, the trip went extremely smoothly! This was the first multiday trip I planned for other people, and although only half the participants showed up, it was definitely a success. 33 Ks of strenuous trails, covered in 72 hours with expedition packs; just under 500 feet of near-vertical elevation gain - twice, at the feet and the head of the Giant; NO serious injuries (despite climbing some very big trees, cliffs, and boulder trails), plenty of good food (including four types of edible berries found on the way!), great companionship, wildlife sightings, and awesome views.

Couple of lessons learned: the Friends of Provincial Park maps are a little bit inaccurate (topographically), nothing serious, made the trip a bit more challenging ;) and the Kabeyun Trail can be hiked in less than two days with an ultralight pack, especially if travelling solo or with experienced folks.

11:16 p.m. on August 9, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Glad it went well, NLees.
11k a day is not too shabby for a group, and leaves time for fun. I've found the ones (newbies), that don't have fun, don't come back.
It is good you worked some classes in there, nothing like a captive audience! Glad to hear no injuries, good job.
I trust you found those berries close to the trail?
Sounds like you had great fun!
I'm going to check the area out on Google Earth sounds cool.

Also, I always say the map is wrong too. haha
Or for even more fun, bring a map of another area and watch how people can show you right where you are with their "new compass".

3:23 p.m. on August 10, 2008 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Yep, trouthunter, fun was definitely a priority, for a few reasons, two of the four people on the trip are in school full-time during the summer, one is working full-time hours, and two were new to the area. (So the recreation aspect was important, as was encouraging people to come back.) But at the same time, sections of the trails were extremely rugged in places, and figuring out how to bearbag our food and smellables in trees, mostly spruce, that were not high, not big, and densely packed together made for some excellent problem-solving sessions. (Climbing the trees and imitating circus contortionists seemed to work the best. One hopes the blackies weren't watching us and taking notes.)

Oh, and for the climbers in the group, there is great sport and ice climbing in the area near the Giant. (There is even a 5-pitch ON the Giant, apparently. Will try to check out on a return visit.)

I can post some pics once I get permission from the photogs!

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply