the Sierra High Route

2:56 p.m. on July 30, 2008 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

some friends and i are planning on doing a 25 mile section of the Sierra High Route, and i was hoping that someone could give me some info on what type of gear would be needed for this trek, or what people have brought on it and would do with out it the next time.

11:31 p.m. on July 31, 2008 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,312 forum posts

Zuptich,
The term "Sierra High Route" is used to refer to two very different families of routes. The older term, which is what is most commonly referred to is the winter crossing of the Sierra pioneered by Dave Beck (he still guides it at least once a winter). There are several alternatives to that route, depending on conditions. If it is this Sierra High Route you are interested in, having to ask about the needed gear indicates you aren't ready to tackle it.

The other (Roper's Route) is a route that basically follows the crest of the Sierra in the N-S direction. Again, there are variations. Since this is normally done in summer conditions, you don't need much more than standard summer Sierra backpacking gear, plus (depending on the variation) climbing gear sufficient for 3rd class. Yes, there are variations that are moderate 5 class and/or involve some traverses of ice or glacier. So it depends on which section and which variation you are intending.

October 22, 2014
Quick Reply