Asheville NC

4:13 p.m. on October 1, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

Anyone know of a good spot to camp in close proximity to some fly fishing, bouldering and hiking? Going to be out there Columbus Day weekend.

6:51 p.m. on October 1, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Hi rdavis, are you looking for a campground or primitive camping?

Off the top of my head, check out the French Broad river or its East Fork, Davidson river(very challenging), or North Mills river.
The Watauga river up in Boone NC is very productive, possibly one of the best rivers in The Southeast.
There are almost always fisherman trails with campsites on these rivers if you wish to hike in. You can verify that with the local fly fishing shops.
Get in touch with the guys/gals at this tackle shop and guide service.
http://www.hunterbanks.com/

They are very knowledgeable and even offer guided night fishing, which is how you catch the big Brown Trout since they are nocturnal.

7:20 p.m. on October 1, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

Thanks for the reply, trouthunter. Primitive camping near the water is what I was looking for and I have plenty of big streamers for those predatory browns *grin*

7:43 p.m. on October 1, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Get one for me would ya? I'm stuck here with a lot of work right now, but I'm not far behind you!

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply