Teton Crest Trail

1:07 a.m. on October 27, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I'm planning on trying to do this trip in mid March. I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on what kind of weather conditions I will probably encounter. Or if it's is just a bad idea. I realize that the snow will probably just be starting to melt. I want to start at the Cascade Canyon Trail at jenny lake and pick up the teton crest then take it down to Teton Pass on Hwy 22. Or possibly cut it short and end by going through Granite Canyon to the Granite Canyon Trailhead. Ive not been to the Tetons in this time of the year before. Will road closings be an issue? Ive also not done much backpacking in this area before. Any information that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

9:09 a.m. on October 30, 2008 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,122 forum posts

Well the snow will be starting to melt down in the valley we call Jackson Hole Wyoming and Lewis Hole Idaho, but in the "high" country of the Teton Crest Trail the snow will be still quite deep. Plan to snowshoe or crosscountry ski most of the time. The trails mostly above tree line and gets quite deep in midwinter and lingers a long time even into May or June.
I hiked up Cascade Canyon from Jenny Lake last June and was planning go to Hurricane Pass above South Cascade Canyon. Its about 10,400 feet and was still covered in 20 feet of snow at that time. Lower Cascade from Jenny Lake to the first campground was totally clear of snow, but after that I ran into snow all the way to Schoolroom Glacier just below Hurricane Pass.
But if you are a confident winter hiker you should have no problem doing this trail. I hike it at least once every other summer and it is such a great trail. You can actually go up Paintbrush Canyon from north Jenny Lake and over Paintbrush Divide to Lake Solitude and then down North Cascade Canyon and up South Cascade to Hurricane Pass.
Another nice way to do the Crest Trail is to take the Tram at Teton Village to Rendezvous at 10,600 feet and hike back to Marion Lake,then head north along Death Canyon Shelf and over to Hurricane Pass and out to Jenny Lake or visa versa. Most of the canyons in the south are very steep and the trails that in summer are steep switchbacks may be hard to walk down, even Coal Creek coming down to Teton Pass. There you will still have four miles to walk down to Wilson unless hitchhiking is easy.

August 23, 2014
Quick Reply