Backpacking clubs in SC

6:45 p.m. on November 6, 2008 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

I am from greenwood sc and I am recently getting back into backpacking after many quite a time (see profile). Wondering if anyone know of any good clubs in SC or anyone have any good trials to hike. I am also interested in day hikes as well.
Thanks

8:00 p.m. on November 6, 2008 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Hello jmcwatty, i live in Charleston SC.
We have a very small hiking club in Charleston. I am not aware of the rest of the state, but would imagine the area around Greenville and West to Walhalla would have clubs.

I have hiked a good bit of the trails in the SC - NC state line area, from the Table Rock area - West to the Ellicot Rock Wilderness Area which is bordered by the NC & GA state lines.

A great book for SC is: Hiking South Carolina
by: John Clark & John Dantzler
published by: Falcon publishing

A great little trail for an easy day hike is The North Fork Trail just south of Walhalla SC. It is 4 miles one way, and starts at the Walhalla fish hatchery which is worth seeing.
You have the option to camp along the banks of the Chattooga river.
The East Fork trail runs into the Chattooga trail to form a tee. You can continue North or South along the beautiful Chattooga River for a longer loop option if desired. Cool coves and ravines along with Spoonauger falls makes this a great, easy dayhike.

For more real backpacking in mountainous terrain, check out sections of the 200 mile Foothills Trail that follows the SC - NC state line for the most part.
The Mountain Bridge Wilderness Area is one of my favorite sections.
The trails along the Blue Wall area ( Blue Ridge Escarpment)are very rugged & challenging, but do pose severe weather possibilities, many visitors to this area get surprised by the amount of rainfall that is possible, and thunderstorms in this area can be severe.

I will see if I can find you a web site with good info & post a link in another post.

Good to have you around!

9:52 p.m. on November 6, 2008 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

Thanks I actually did the foothills trail one summer after getting my Eagle Scout award. It was an option they had at Camp Old indian instead of working on merit badges and I do plan to return. I would definitely appreciate any info you can provide. Glad to meet a fellow South Carolinian on here!

10:07 p.m. on November 6, 2008 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Hey, here is an interesting site, just click on the "Trails Map" button, second one down on the left side and you will get a state map divided by county.
Click on the county you want, and get trail info for that county.
http://www.sctrails.net/TRAILS/ALLTRAILS/hiking/Hiking.html

Congrats on your Eagle!
I work with the boy scouts from time to time on camping trips.

11:28 p.m. on November 6, 2008 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Here is a link to the Foothills Trail Conference website.
Click on: Calendar of outing and events tab.
http://www.foothillstrail.org/

10:09 a.m. on November 7, 2008 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

Thanks for all your help!

12:52 p.m. on November 7, 2008 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Anytime.

August 23, 2014
Quick Reply