About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Planning a trip to the American southwest.

9:59 p.m. on November 6, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

A friend and I are trying to plan a trip in the American southwest for march 2009. We're looking for 4 or 5 day trip or 30 to 40 miles. Neither one of us has ever been to the area and we aren't really sure where to even start.
Any ideas for a good trip would be appreciated.

3:43 p.m. on November 7, 2008 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,219 reviewer rep
5,180 forum posts

Having grown up in Arizona and spent lots of time in New Mexico (and Utah, Nevada, and Colorado, which are more or less part of the Southwest, too), there is a plethora of places to go. Pick one of the following general types of places -

1. Ponderosa forests
2. Pinyon forests
3. high desert
4. low desert (Sonoran)
5. canyon areas
6. fantastic formations (like 4 Corners, Chiricahua, southern Utah)

And more!

You can find all sorts of 4-5 day, 30-40 mile trips with any of those themes. In some of the areas, you have National Parks to hike in. In others, you have unbelievable towers and spires or many colors. Then there are the Native lands (you need special permission on many of those). There are high peaks (some over 14,000 feet) and deep canyons (slots, like in southern Utah, trenches like the Grand Canyon, or the now uncovered parts of Lake Powell, or Marble Canyon, or Havasu). It's all good!

So what is your interest, and what is your experience?

8:48 p.m. on November 7, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Bill, thanks for the recommendations.
My experience is minimal but my friend has more experience than I do. We're looking to stay away from any place that is going to be pretty cold or have considerable snow, a warmer climate is preferable. Really just want to get out for a few days and enjoy this beautiful world we live in. High elevation is not a problem, I'm currently living at about 9000 feet in Colorado.

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply