About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Winter Camping in VA, MD, WVA, PA? Recommendations Please.

2:28 p.m. on November 17, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hello, New member here. My old friends and I have been doing a fall / early winter camping trip since the 1970s and college when we all used to backpack. We usually go to Shenandoah NP or Dolly Sods. The last few years we have not been able to do it for one reason or the other but we are attempting to put something together for this December 5th. Some of the group are no longer interested in total primitive camping or backpacking and would like to go to a park or campground that is still open and at least has electricity available and hopefully in or around the mountains. We are coming from Fairfax County and Fredericksburg area so anything in the greater DC area or 3 or 4 hours drive. Even PA might not be too far. It will just be the weekend. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

3:44 p.m. on November 17, 2008 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
116 forum posts

Chaz,

Given the requirements you listed, I would check out your local state parks. The state parks here in Ohio offer everything from primitive camping to heated cabins w/ jacuzzis. If the parks in your state are somewhat like the parks here, you should have your pick of sites because very few "car camping" people brave the cold to camp, unless it's hunting season...

8:16 p.m. on November 17, 2008 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

How does a short half mile hike to a primitive cabin with a fireplace and gorgeous views sound?

There is a network of cabins in PA, MD, and VA, managed by the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club (PATC) that are available to members and to non-members for a slightly higher (ridiculously cheap) fee. I recommend joining since I am a member and the money you donate will help to maintain the trails, shelters, and cabins along the AT.

Link
http://potomacappalachian.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=38&Itemid=51
if the link does not work just google PATC and it should come up as the second or third hit.

8:54 p.m. on November 17, 2008 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

The PATC does a lot of good work, I visit their site often and have done some trail work with them in VA.

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply