Geneva - Oslo trip

3:11 p.m. on December 31, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

I have been planning this trip for over a year. I am hiking with a friend, we both got new gear and tried it out a couple of months ago and we've both been hiking for around 2 years ... every weekend. So far under all conditions. But since we can never be too sure about anything out there I would like to ask for some tips in case i need them at some point.
Our trip is : Geneva ( switzerland ) - Germany ( going thru Munich ) - Czeck rep. - poland up to Gdansk and take a ferri to stockholm and the Oslo. Its a big trip, and lots of people have advised us against it. We will re-plenish food whenever needed.

my friend managed to do a... scrap, i guess of our route on google earth :

Geneva to Oslo route on Google Maps

this is more or less the route. we will be leaving in June 2009.

12:05 p.m. on January 2, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

i forgot to add the objective is to get away from any contact with people. So we do have a problem, eventually after a quick stop in Oslo we might go north and the problem are both the bags and tents. Should we buy tents and bags for really low temperatures ( past 60ยบ N ) or buy both for low and medium temperatures. Its a real issue and we dont know how to deal with it.

9:17 p.m. on January 14, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
242 forum posts

As you will be in Oslo probably in july, this is a good time to hike all over Norway. Normal temperature is 5C to 10C even in the highest mountains. Could be down to 0C, so the bags should cope with that. Cheap solution could be to buy a liner. Improves the temperature-rating by come degrees. Otherwise just put on some clothes if there is a cold night, you will not fear death of hypotermia.

There is a track staring in Oslo going north. It is called Rondanestien http://www.rondanestien.no/index.php?fo_id=1812

You say that the objective is to get away from any contact with people. The area between Sulitjelma and Narvik must be ideal in that respect. Estimate at least two weeks, I'd be surprised if you met more than two people during this trip. Pictures here http://parlindh.se/0808fjall/index.html select Rago-Sitas. Sorry the text is swedish only. Remember there is no contact also, no mobile coverage except by satellite-phone. No way to supply food also, so you must have it with you.

6:30 p.m. on February 7, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

So wait, you're saying its only going to take me a month to get to norway?

September 15, 2014
Quick Reply