New to hiking and looking for a good trail in Connecticut

10:06 a.m. on January 12, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I admittedly have no experience but I have to start somewhere I suppose. Two friends and myself were hoping to go on a two day hiking trip in late spring of this year. I was only wondering if anyone here has a trail they'd recommend that would suit me. I would be happy with some elevation and hope to set up camp for a single night. I know there can be heavy restrictions on camping and the sort. Being new I'm open to and appreciative of all suggestions, tips, and criticism.

Thanks for reading ^_^

-Justin

10:09 a.m. on January 12, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Also sorry for being one of those new guys who comes in with a question immediately. =/

3:23 p.m. on January 15, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, DarkHart.

While I grew up in Connecticut, I actually have not extensively hiked in it, though I have certainly done some exploring.

There are a number of day hiking options throughout the state. Backpacking options are more limited, though you could pick a place to camp and explore from there. As you likely know, 52 miles of the AT pass through the northwest corner of the state.

I recently bought two books that might help you:

AMC's Best Day Hikes in Connecticut and 50 Hikes in Connecticut. You might also like the Appalachian Trail Conservancy's guidebook to the AT in Connecticut-Massachusetts.

Where are you located in Connecticut? You might want to hook up with a local hiking/trails group. The AMC also has chapters throughout New England. Here's the Connecticut chapter's site:
http://www.ct-amc.org/ct/index.shtm

8:22 p.m. on January 16, 2009 (EST)
18 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

DarkHart, welcom to the group.

I live in Connecticut, and have hiked throughout the area. As Alicia stated, there are alot of great day hikes, but not that many overnight hikes. At AT up in the Northwest corner of the state is great, but it can get a bit crowded.

You may want to look at the Catskill Mountains in NY State. There are some great hikes in that area, such as the Devils Path. There are also a few geat loops with some nice views. My favorit is 14 mile loop with 3200' elevation. I know, not alot but it is nice weekend trip.

You may also look at the Long Trail, or maybe Mount Graylock in Mass.

E-mail me if you want and I can send you other details. Your local chapter of the AMC is a nice source, as Alicia stated. You can also talk to the sales people at some of the EMS's or the REI in Hartford.

Hope this helps.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply