Getting ready to go

1:30 a.m. on February 4, 2009 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Being new to backpacking but allways go camping on the split notice (any 2 days off). I checked the weather report. Record highs for the next 2 days! Now what should I do with myself? Stay in town, or pack-up and go. No brainer. Now eyeing my new (to me) backpack. I started to load it up. I packed 2xs my norm cloths, my food, stove, and the rest of my gear. The backpack was still empty. I had planed to strap my tent to the top of the pack. I eyed my neatly rolled tent, looked at the pack, back to the tent. Taking out 1/2 of my cloths. I unrolled the tent, and stuffed that thing into the pack opening, poles and all! All I can say is that these backpacks can hold alot of stuff. Being the first trip of the season I know I'm going to forget something. Like, SHIT where is that dam sleeping bag! Well its only a short hike 3.5 miles so I should make it if my ageing back holds up. The last time I had a packpack on was, well, 1968. God I'm looking forward to this. See ya in 2 days, Have a good weekend, weekday, or what everday it is. Its all a blurr to me. :)

6:39 a.m. on February 4, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

mikemorrow, you didn't tell us where you were going!

Now how can we go throw rocks at your tent if we can't find you?

1:36 p.m. on February 4, 2009 (EST)
15 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

OMG! that happened to me last weekend! We woke up at like 3 am and thought it was a rain storm, ready to throw the rain fly on!

5:17 p.m. on February 5, 2009 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I'm back!

Things not to do;

1 2 bottles of wine. Drink both, then have the bright idea to start a fire. I'm on the Oregon coast, rainforest. Wet wood everywhere. Woke up in the morning only to find out that I used all my stove fuel.

2 Hot coffee and tin cups dont do well together.

Things I learned

1 my tent is to big to haul a long way

2 people are pigs

3 need a better food sack.

4 a water filter

"mikemorrow, you didn't tell us where you were going!

Now how can we go throw rocks at your tent if we can't find you?"

Exactly! I'll never tell you where I am. Untell I get home.

3 Mile Lake. Around 15 miles south of Florance. Old growth trees. Lots of sand. Overall a good trip. I enjoyed myself VERY much. I just got out of there before the rain started. Next time, no wine (ok 1 bottle) Less water. Water filter and a lighter tent. Is a must.

8:39 p.m. on February 5, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

HaHa, I'm glad you got to go mikemorrow!!

Hey Nate!

4:30 a.m. on February 6, 2009 (EST)
15 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

*glares over at Trout*

Did you put vodka in my water bottles?!?

And Mike ->

liquor + backpacking doesn't normally go together. However, you should see what one of my friends pulled off last weekend. He had an inflatable air mattress (queen size) in his pack (plus 8 D batteries and the air pump). We were all wondering why he was complaining 3 miles in to the hike when we're all just starting to get into it!!

9:02 a.m. on February 6, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Nate I can neither confirm nor deny that I did or did not have any vodka.

Air mattress?! Geez,...did he learn anything?

I have learned a lot of things the hard way, like if you pick out a tree as a landmark on the trail, every tree you see several days later on the way out looks a lot like the tree you picked out.

Now I take a digital picture as I pass the spot, or any waypoint really, as well as entering it in my GPSR.

Also some orange plastic ribbon tied to the tree works well, just cut and remove on your way out. But make sure you get it all.

11:11 a.m. on February 6, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Hay guys ok ok im guilty too...

I have and carry a self inflating sleeping pad (but that's because I have back problems) well mostly it is pretty comfortable.

And I normally bring a flask Jim Beam Black or Johny Walker Black - its for medicinal purposes ;-)

2:44 a.m. on February 7, 2009 (EST)
15 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

I have a thermarest self-inflating pad... but my buddy had the FULL QUEEN SIZE air mattress that took up every inch of my tent. I did not feel guilty sleepin on it since it was in his backpack. the guilt did finally hit about 5 miles into the 2nd day.

Mike (both of u) -> One thing I try to do when hiking is put my beverages in the mountain rivers while we're resting. its a great way to keep them cool!

August 31, 2014
Quick Reply