Anyone been to Glacier National Park?

9:58 p.m. on February 20, 2009 (EST)
5 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

My buddy and me have decided to hit up Glacier National Park near the end of this summer. I'm bringing my kayak and he's bringing his inflatable catamaran fishing boat. We are looking to spend a few weeks there, maybe more. So if any one can recomend any good trails,lakes,rivers or anything else I would be grateful.

11:04 p.m. on February 20, 2009 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

Well, it has been awhile, but in 1965 I spent a summer working on a trail crew in Glacier Park. I remember hiking from East Glacier through the Park into Canada where a Canadian National bark borders Glacier. There was one of the old hotels built by the RR companies back in the early 1900s. Wow, what a setting. I believe it, too, was on a lake. A great weekend hike. I remember taking an evening dip in one of those mountain lakes. I shivered all night. Hike up to the Glaciers. The bugs should be gone by September. I also recall being asked by tourist how we could stand the mosquitos as we worked in the woods. "Oh, you get used to it", we boasted, not letting on that we had covered ourselves with Gov. issued 100% Deet! Lake McDonald is a pretty good sized lake an near the campgrounds and Park entrance.

7:42 p.m. on February 22, 2009 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Haven't done much of the aquatic thing in GNP, but it's long been one of my favorite places. (I like the wilderness to the south even better, but that's a different topic.)

Glacier is filled with great hiking, backpacking, etc. Trying to name trails and such seems to me only to fail to identify worthy hikes, sites, and trips whilst naming some others. I love the Two Medicine Area. Near Many Glacier is a trail I used to like called Ptarmigan Trail, I think. Another is the Highline Trail near Logan Pass. In the Northern part of the park is an area called Goat Haunt. Very nice.

Basically, one can't go far wrong in Glacier, in my opinion. Beautiful park.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply