What Are This Year's Hiking/Backpacking Plans?

2:05 p.m. on April 1, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Today I received tidings that I will be starting work May 21st so that leaves me some time to do some much needed hiking/backpacking.

Some of the trails I plan to hike (God willing of course) is the Vesuvius Backpack Trail in Ohio's Wayne National Forest (Ironton District), some of the trails near Cave Run Lake in Kentucky's Daniel Boone National Forest in addition to possibly the Kaintuck Trail in the Mark Twain N.F. located in Missouri's scenic Ozark hill country.

All the while I will be heading west in the process.

So what are your hiking goals for this year?

3:07 p.m. on April 1, 2009 (EDT)
32 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Right now, I'm planning to backpack either the northern or southern loop at Shawnee State Forest in S Ohio in May. I also plan to take my 8-year-old son backpacking at Vesuvius in early summer.

3:12 p.m. on April 1, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

That is a very beautilful area.

Love southern Ohio.

So how many miles is either the northern or southern loops of the Shawnee BP Trail? I just may be interested in hiking the same.

So far I backpacked the Archers Fork Trail and day hiked the Lamping Homestead Trail with my friend.

3:21 p.m. on April 1, 2009 (EDT)
32 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

The North loop is 23 miles. The South loop is 27.5. Both are full of PUDs, which makes Shawnee probably the most challenging of Ohio's backpacking trails.

I've backpacked Shawnee before with my dad, Wildcat Hollow with my two oldest, and Zaleski with my son. Zaleski has been the most interesting trail, in my opinion, but also the most popular (read crowded). When my dad and I backpacked Shawnee two years ago, we didn't see anyone on the trail the entire trip (there's a reason for that).

3:34 p.m. on April 1, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I backpacked Wildcat Hollow back in '03. That was a very scenic and fun 15 mile loop.

Love the solitude I felt out on that trail. Many happy :) memories.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/546627253vUTwIu

3:54 p.m. on April 1, 2009 (EDT)
32 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

The weekend we went to Wildcat Hollow, there were quite a few people there. Apparently, there was a "wilderness survival" class there for the weekend because we passed a group of individuals who were using improvised shelters and listening to a guy talk about the types of edible plants/nuts available to eat.

When I took my son to Zaleski, an Army reserve unit spent the night with us in the camp. My son enjoyed that.

4:04 p.m. on April 1, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

There were some groups of hikers out on the trail when we were there, but as always come the end of the hiking day we found a great place away from all people. Very quiet evening as I can recall.

Plenty of nice places to camp along the trail too.

5:30 p.m. on April 1, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

So far I have a 4 day permit for the Golden Trout Lakes July second and another permit to do a week long hike in Yosemite starting Jully 11th. I should get a couple as yet unplanned trips in before then though.

Gary C.

9:46 p.m. on April 1, 2009 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Several days in Yellowstone.

A day or two or three in Rocky Mountain Nat. Park, Bridger/Teton NF, and the Black Hills. Another day at Fort Robinson State Park, Nebraska. Probably a couple days in Mark Twain NF, possibly at/near Hercules Glade Wilderness.

Hoping for another trip to the Buffalo River soon as well.

Not sure how much time I'll have available come fall, so plans beyond August are nothing more than hopes.

10:23 a.m. on April 2, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

When I'm down at the Vesuvius Recreation Area I would like to establish a "base camp" at the Paddle Creek Trailhead. A nice spot with tall pines.

That is a really beautiful area. So much to explore.

4:03 p.m. on April 4, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
46 forum posts

Headed to Ecuador on May 2nd for two weeks. One week to be spent in the Eastern Amazon, the other in the volcanoes of the Andes.......I'm stoked. After that, at least 5 days in the Yosemite high country, a trip to Hanging Lake Colorado, the annual MT. Washington climb, and topping the summer off with another 5 day in the Northern Cascades around Eldorado Glacier.

Another awesome summer on the way!!!!!

9:06 p.m. on April 4, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

This year I am planning on a spending a lot of time in the field well at the very least 4 days camping every three weeks on average.

The areas of interest for my wilderness outing are Finger lakes Trail System (eastern section), Catskill's (northern western section) & Adirondacks (northern & central southern zone's) And defiantly i'm going to get the the cranberry lake back country.

Most of all my outings will most likely be solo but a few of them will be with 1 or 3 people.

2:57 p.m. on April 5, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Looks like for Easter weekend I will be on the trail.

I will be down at the Vesuvius Recreational Area backpacking the trails.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/wayne/recreation_sites/trails/Vesuvius.pdf

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/wayne/vesuvius_docs/vesuvius_lake_home.html

4:29 p.m. on April 5, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

I might be working in Banff NP so I'll probably be doing some scrambling around the area. I also need to check some ressuplies and escape routes for the Jasper/Lake Louise traverse, so i guess I'll be hanging out in the Rokies for a while.

7:47 p.m. on April 5, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Hey guys,

I'm leaving Tuesday, April 7th on a backpacking and fishing trip in the Cherokee National Forest located in Tennessee. I'm going to set up a base camp at Hiawassee Outfitters, they are a rafting outfit with a large campground right on the Hiawassee River. Right now the outfitter is shut down (off season) but they do allow camping on the honor system, $7.00 per night, dropped in a little box.

I will be going with my brother in law, we will work our way up stream from Reliance TN to the Appalachia Powerhouse and back to our vehicle at the base camp.

We usually do this every February, but we both have been busy with work this year. The Hiawassee River is quite challenging but a lot of fun. Water level is dictated by the amount of power being generated at the power house. The river is about 900 yrds. across with trails on both sides. Lots of wildlife and scenery!

I'll do a trip report with pics when I get back.

11:44 p.m. on April 5, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

Nice trip! Enjoy yourselves, I'm stuck in school until April 24th then it's back in the Rockies.

10:39 a.m. on April 6, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Hey guys,

I'm leaving Tuesday, April 7th on a backpacking and fishing trip in the Cherokee National Forest located in Tennessee. I'm going to set up a base camp at Hiawassee Outfitters, they are a rafting outfit with a large campground right on the Hiawassee River. Right now the outfitter is shut down (off season) but they do allow camping on the honor system, $7.00 per night, dropped in a little box.

I will be going with my brother in law, we will work our way up stream from Reliance TN to the Appalachia Powerhouse and back to our vehicle at the base camp.

We usually do this every February, but we both have been busy with work this year. The Hiawassee River is quite challenging but a lot of fun. Water level is dictated by the amount of power being generated at the power house. The river is about 900 yrds. across with trails on both sides. Lots of wildlife and scenery!

I'll do a trip report with pics when I get back.

Sounds like you will be having a Great Time!

Nice area too! It's great to be in the Appalachian Mountains!

I will be in the hills of Ohio's Appalachian Plateau...but you in the actual mountains!

10:41 a.m. on April 6, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I might be working in Banff NP so I'll probably be doing some scrambling around the area. I also need to check some ressuplies and escape routes for the Jasper/Lake Louise traverse, so i guess I'll be hanging out in the Rokies for a while.

I will be working at Devil's Lake State Park http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/parks/specific/devilslake/ starting May 21st. I can relate to what you are saying. Couldn't be any better than this!

Love my outdoor job!

8:58 p.m. on April 7, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Finishing the GA section of the AT (currently 27% done this year)

12:33 a.m. on April 14, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

This weekend I'm humping a little section of the finger lakes trail just north of allegany park, ny. Thats south of Buffalo for you non-locals.

10:28 p.m. on April 28, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,122 forum posts

To see and hike as much around Flagstaff Az. There are so many cool places around here. Oak Creek Canyon, Sycamore Canyon, Walnut Canyon, the Grand Canyon (spent 20 years seeing it) the Meteor Crater, Sunset Crater and the Wapatki National Monument, the petrified Forest, the Painted Desert, Pumphouse Wash, Wilson Canyon (up from Midgely Bridge), Sedona and so many others.

Won't someone or some other join me? Email me at garyclaytonpalmer@yahoo.com if you are interested in hiking with a 53 year old guy who is willing to go almost anywhere around here.

10:54 p.m. on April 29, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

I plan on backpacking every trail in MS and LA this year (only have one more to go in LA). Along with that, on Memorial Day weekend I will be in the Sipsey Wilderness in AL and the last week of August I will be on the Jacks River Trail in GA. I am wanting to get all of the Pinhoti in AL done this year as well. Smokeies may play into the plan sometime in the fall. Oh yeah, and car camping and hiking in the Ozarks in July.

Ministercreek, when you plan on doing the Mark Twain Wilderness? I have been thinking about that lately myself.

7:30 p.m. on May 2, 2009 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

Some day hiking in South Dakota, Nevada, Colorado and maybe Montana. I transfer May 22nd and should have close to two weeks to make the trip. Later this summer I want to hike the Lost Coast and hit the area north of Lassen Peak. Not sure if this counts as hiking, but I have plans to do a lot of trail running this summer. For the first time in two years I am running and hiking with no shin pain. Hoefully there are some 10K and half marathons in my future.

10:31 p.m. on May 7, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Just to get out for first time. Have the pack,tent,stove,a bag and footwear.

Trying to get a few odds and ends before I give it a shot. All old stuff but should be fine for beginner.

7:55 a.m. on May 8, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
533 reviewer rep
668 forum posts

The big event will be a week of (relatively easy) climbing in the Alps, out of either Chamonix or Zermatt, with Christophe who knows how to avoid the crowds. My daughter will be working a month in each of two Norwegian huts, so we are scheming to do a a one-day spin around the 60 km Trollheimen Triangle (she has already done it in under 14h, wants to do better, but I don't think I'll be able to keep up with her!) and Syltraversen, a long day's ridge traverse with a short section of exposed scrambling. A five-day hike from Åndalsnes to Sunndalsøra, including Storkalkinn, an 1800m peak that looks right out over a fjord, is also on my wish list. And maybe a kayak trip with my wife -- she will go bike touring in the Loire valley with my daughters to balance my boy's week out in the Alps. Sometimes I miss the intimacy I had with the White and Green mountains after so many years there, but, damn! there's so much to do here!

3:01 a.m. on May 9, 2009 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

We are moving ahead with our plans for a coast to coast National Parks tour. First stop will be the Smokies. I think this is going to be great but with the schedule will not be able to truly experience any one area fully. We will have the kids and the attention span is a bit short so the trip will be perfect for a 9, 10, and 13 year old. The wife and I should have a pretty good list of places we have to go back to.

10:44 p.m. on May 13, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Ministercreek I will be camping with my daughter that weekend. Any chance to catch you. Maybe you could give me a lesson with waterfilter or compass. Will you be on a site in the park?

10:47 p.m. on May 14, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
23 forum posts
LOST COAST MAY 2009

Hey Don...if you are still interested in the Lost COAST, my friend and I are looking to just share the shuttle fees with. We're going either late 5/26 or early 5/27. email genesis.777@juno.com

10:40 a.m. on May 16, 2009 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

Next week I will be hiking in Yosemite along Hetch Hetchy for a couple of days.

Next month I will be in Kaiser Peak Wilderness for an overnighter.

July I will be in Yosemite going to Ostrander Lake and then day hiking Ten Lakes later in the month. First week of August will be spent going from Tuolumne Meadows to Red's Meadow. third weekend in August we will go from Tuolumne Meadows to Happy Isles and climbing Clouds Rest and/or Half Dome along the way.

Still contemplating September, but will be considering something out of Mineral King.

5:41 p.m. on May 17, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

Memorial weekend I will be heading down the Chattooga river trail which borders SC and Ga. I also have another trip planned for July doing a section of the foothills trail. I am looking to do at least 3 to 4 more trips by Dec. I want to do some trips in SC's surrounding states of GA, NC, and TENN. If anyone knows of any good weekend trips in these areas or good websites or books to look at to plan some trips please let me know.

Thanks Trout for responding to my other post with topic.

6:29 p.m. on May 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

This year the hiking trips will be divided between tours in the area here in Nordland and Germany. There is a "ten-summits-contest" that I have used to participate in. Nothing big, just daytrips. The annual cloudberry picking is mandatory, cannot miss that. "Must" have about 50 kg of the stuff !! Also some tours I just need to redo, like Tåkeheimen and Helgelandsbukken. I know BigRed will understand.

We go in the fall (week 35) to Germany just to try their kind of mountain walking. One thing is for certain, they are well organized, that's for sure. <click> But instead of solitude in the Norwegian mountains at the hut, the daytrip there end up in a small "dorf" with a guesthouse and at least one beerhall/restaurant with the germans in a "sing-along". We just want to try it out, do not know if we will hate it or like it. Maybe I'll send along a biased report at the return from the tour.

9:30 p.m. on May 22, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

Anyone hitting the trails this weekend? I am doing the Chattooga River trail on the border of SC and GA.

11:47 p.m. on May 24, 2009 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

I'm planning on doing the whole Buffalo River Trail at the end of june (after I take my licensing exam). I have two weeks off, and I'll be darned if I'm going to spend them under a roof!

11:38 p.m. on July 22, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Arizona hiking trials from Explore Arizona Tours offer the finest hiking tours in the state of Arizona. If you have not witnessed the beauty of such Arizona hiking destinations as the Mescal Ridge in Payson, Antelope Canyon in Page, or Havasu Falls on the Havasupai Indian reservation, now is the time to start your adventure. Arizona tours even offers adventures for the kids with Gold mining tours and panning expeditions. grand canyon tours from las vegas

2:12 p.m. on July 24, 2009 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Bagging 14er's here in Colorado. Next up Mt. Yale.

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply