canoe trip in NY?

9:40 p.m. on April 2, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Hello all!

My boyfriend and I are looking to take a canoe trip in upstate NY/surrounding area in late May. We have the use of a canoe and a car with a rack, we just need somewhere to go! Can anyone recommend a nice 2-3 day trip in this area? We are both new to canoeing, so something easygoing would be good. We have the full run of lightweight backcountry gear (tent, sleeping bags etc.) I would like to do a river trip but don't want to portage, so a lake may work better. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

10:09 a.m. on April 3, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Hey scarletfire,

Your best bet is likely Adirondack State Park. http://visitadirondacks.com/recreation/canoe-overview.cfm Lots of water trails and camping.

Edit: They will send you a free water way guide, or you can download it off the site. A guy I work with is from the area and strongly recommends Cranberry Lake. Apparently no portages, 46 campsites with no motor boats and hiking that goes out away from the lake.

Also, I can appreciate your desire to not portage, BUT there is a wonderful advantage to portaging that makes huling all the gear worth it -- motor boats can't portage. Being in a canoe on a relativly busy lake sucks because you have motor boats flying around creating multiple waves from all sorts of directions, which makes it hard to plan for.

Now I'm not sure if how far you are willing/able to drive for this trip, but if you want an amazing canoe/camping trip I strongly recommend Algonquin Provincial park. http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/campcan.html

With a bit of planning you can minimize portages (to 1 in and 1 out) and still have a pretty secluded restful time as well as a varied and interesting paddle. Dunno if the extra driving is doable for this trip, but I really recommend it at some point.

12:29 a.m. on April 14, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I have been to several Adirondack destinations, and one that I enjoyed the most was paddling Lowe's Lake. It is easy to paddle, secluded, exceptionally beautiful and very quiet. It is not particularly accessible. It is likely the least accessible place east of the mississippi.

I am telling you a very well-kept secret. If you planned to go during the offseason I likely would not have let you in on it. Google lowes lake and you will find very little. You must put in at the metropolis of horsheshoe. Look for it under google maps. Have a great time.

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply