Winter in Patagonia

1:56 a.m. on May 1, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

So I'm headed to Torres del Paine in July and August to help out the park rangers with the English skills, and I'm not sure what to expect as far as weather is concerned. I'm looking into getting a new/used sleeping bag if need be, and trying to figure out other gear essentials. I might be traveling to other nearby parks - los Glaciares, etc., so backpacking/camping gear might be needed. However, in Torres I'll most likely stay in refugios with other teaching folk and the rangers. If anyone has experience with the Patagonian winters, more specifically with TdP winters, I'd really love and appreciate any input I could get, or perhaps books or websites where I could acquire such helpful information. Anything is better than nothing. Thanks.

Victor

1:44 p.m. on May 1, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,271 forum posts

Here is the Chilean weather office for the Patagonian region. If you pass the cursor over the reporting offices, you get the specific forecasts for the next 5 days. Puerto Natales is the closest reporting office. Climatalogical information is in the list at the left. The parks are in the XII region.

Among the books, I found the Lonely Planet Chile and Argentina books to be surprisingly good. You would not expect a tourist guide to give the information, but it actually is fairly decent. That part of the world is pretty stormy all year around, with lots of snow in the winter (remember that the Patagonian "ice cap" is to the west and north of you from Torres, and includes Glaciares. You should be able to get some specifics from the rangers office for Torres de Paine, since you will be working with them.

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply