Summer Mayhem in Maine

2:31 p.m. on May 10, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

So, it turns out I have to be in Maine for a wedding in mid July. It just so happens that I have some vacation time scheduled after the wedding, and that means hit the trail! but I haven't lived there for some time, and some Mainers might actually consider me to be "from away" since its been so long.

I'm thinking about re-visiting the hundred mile wilderness, or maybe the alligash. OR should I explore something new?

So gals and guys I guess I need a little help. I have 3 weeks, not including the wedding. anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

1:41 p.m. on May 11, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,160 forum posts

Oh, boy, three free weeks here in Maine! As you know, there are so many possibilities. Where will you be based or headed for the wedding, and is distance from there a consideration? Bringing anyone else along?

If it was me and I wanted some extended trail time I'd seriously consider the 100-mile wilderness, or something similar. But, that's because I haven't done the whole thing.

Also, how about the Baxter State Park area? That's one of my favorites. You could also follow the International AT from there.

Or you could also do all the 4,000 footers in Maine.

Acadia is so beautiful I always think it warrants a visit, though it can be rather busy in July and you'd be restricted to short dayhikes. Still, it's Acadia in summer...

I've never done the Allagash, though I figure that will have to happen someday. It would be a classic.

Okay, I know I didn't help, but I'd just go with your gut and do whatever is calling out to you. If you just want to backpack for a week or two or three, do that. I'd look at a section of the AT like the 100 miles or for a change the IAT.

Either way, have a great time and let us know what you decide. Or let us know if you have any prerequisites.

2:47 p.m. on May 11, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Thanks for the tips Alicia, i'm excited to get back there!

I live... ahem

My parents live in York County, and my brother lives on the west end in Portland. Ill be in bethel (Sunday River) for the wedding so the white mtns and the AT came to mind immediately. but it will be busy season on the AT and that's when I started looking at other options.

The IAT sounds intesting, ill have to research...

The baxter area also sounds great, I've only been up there a couple of times. one of my buddies mentioned the bees hive, that's on khatadin isn't it? I hate to admidt it but im (working out every day now) in horrible shape right now, and the hundred miles might be a little too much unless I get fitter by then. im working hard to be in "fighting" shape by my trip (and the wedding!). scary thought...
right now im parusing the Gazetter for some 4K' peaks... I have a couple of em under my belt, and that sounds really fun! great ideas! your a rock star alicia!

3:05 p.m. on May 11, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,160 forum posts

You're very welcome. Bethel will put you in great proximity to the Whites and Maine's western mountains. I'll guess from your name that you've already discovered Mahoosuc Notch.

The Bee Hive is in Acadia. Acadia is such a beautiful area I think it warrants consideration, though you'll have to deal with more people, which may not be your cup of tea. And, it's a long drive from Bethel. You should also know, that some trails are closed in Acadia the first half of summer for nesting peregrine falcons:

http://www.nps.gov/acad/parknews/precipiceclosure09.htm

If you haven't done much in Baxter State Park, you should really look into that. You'll have to be proactive about getting a campsite though, since they fill up fast:

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/index.html

I heartily recommend Baxter.

As for the 4,000-footers. There are 14 in Maine, and if you're a peak bagger, it might be a nice way to do a bunch of different hikes throughout the state:

http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/ne-4000-footers.html

I just looked at the list, to recommend some favorites and then thought, but they're all worthwhile!

I think it all depends on how much time you want to spend driving and traveling, versus planing yourself in a central location or two.

Anyway, you'll have lots of food for thought!

7:00 p.m. on May 12, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hi,

My family recently moved from Maine to the southwest, which is making me appreciate the finer things of my former state. Gulf Hagas is one of the best I can think of. You can probably find better pictures than what's on the link just with a search engine, but of the hikes I've done in Maine, this is definitely one of my favorites. It's just off the AT, if you end up doing the 100 miles, and well worth a visit. Some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen, especially where the trail runs along the canyon. There is a big stream to cross near the trailhead, and I've never found a way to skip across on rocks, but it will probably be perfectly doable if you take off your shoes and roll your pants up.

Happy trails!

6:03 p.m. on May 13, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

thanks walburn for the info. I've never been to the gulf, but remember tales from friends. that's one that sounds like it could be done in a day. great article too!

7:44 p.m. on May 13, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,160 forum posts

Gulf Hagas is another good mention.

If you don't already have it, the AMC's Maine Mountain Guide is a great resource for hikes around the state.

Unfortunately, they split out the Acadia info into its own guidebook a number of years ago. So anyone looking for Acadia info has to get the Discover Acadia book separately:

or at least the Maine: Hiking, Biking, and Paddling Map of Acadia National Park:

12:40 p.m. on July 22, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Off to the Sugarloaf area for some peak bagging. There was a small f-0 tornado that touched down less than 5 miles of where the wedding was held at Sunday River. So I'm going to hold off any Mahoosuc hiking for a tad. BTW, we almost made our way up "White Heat" in our tuxes! Aniway, thought I'd check in and give a little update! More mayhem to come!

1:08 p.m. on July 22, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Oh yeah, I'll be attempting to climb Saddleback, Abraham, Sugarloaf, and Bigelow all in a weeks time. It's a conservative timeline, but that provides us ample sightseeing and no pressure to get it done too quickly. At the same time, I'll be working out of a "base camp" at an undisclosed location recommended to me by a good buddy from childhood. The tent is in the car, for base camp. Now that I've tested out hammock camping my pack will be even lighter! Just two of us going on the adventure, an old buddy from the 1st grade (the groom of the wedding). Wish us luck!!!

6:51 p.m. on July 28, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,160 forum posts

Hi, mahoosic. How did all the hiking go? You were set to do some nice hikes.

We missed the tornado, as we were in Utah last week.

10:41 a.m. on July 31, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

OK... Back for 1 day before I haul up to Baxter for a little car camping and relaxation before tackling the biggun for the first time! This has been the best time!!! Alicia, I had a blast!!! This one brought back some memories! Thanks to you guys from Trailspace I'm out doing incredible things rather than sitting around drinking on the beach or in the Old Port (which has it's merits). The legs and back are a little sore, but after the third day the soreness wears off for the most part. Sugarloaf, Bigelow, and the surrounding area was fantastic, and I'll have pics up soon as I get back from Katahdin!!! We decided to cut out Saddleback and hang around the Carrabassett Valley for a bit longer to enjoy the scenery. Time for a three hour shower and some Laundry!

1:34 p.m. on July 31, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,160 forum posts

Have a great time in Baxter and hiking Katahdin and whatever else you choose. Katahdin is one of my all-time favorite mountains, so you'll have to share some pictures once you're back. Of course, there are tons of other nice spots in Baxter SP and the area that often get overlooked.

Anyway, have a great time and share some photos later. I'm glad your other hikes have been so fun.

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply