hiking mississippi

11:54 a.m. on May 31, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

i live in central mississippi and am looking for some people to hike or hang with. i mainly do weekend trips, because i work during the week. i have recently moved back to mississippi, and am looking for trails guring this hot hot summer. i hike around some state parks, and black creek, clear creek. but i dont know to many more areas to hike round the state. all ideas are welcome, and i would love some folk to backpack with. thanks,
chris glasgow

9:54 p.m. on June 2, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

Chris,

I hike Clear Creek and Black Creek as well. I am planning on doing the Shockaloe Trail in the Beinville NF (near Morton, MS) probably the weekend after this on. I also am going to be doing the Witch Dance trail in the Tombigbee NF (North MS) soon. You could also consider the Long Leaf trail in the DeSoto National Forest near Hattisburg. These trails are all 15 miles or more in length. There are alot of day hiking options as well.

You can contact me at mech_superintendent@yahoo.com

I have not done the entire Black Creek trail, but want to get that done before the year is up.

12:12 p.m. on June 16, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Hello,

I plan on heading to Mississppi once the job ends for the season. I too will be most interested in hiking in your State. I prefer loop trails myself-even horse trails.

10:50 p.m. on June 17, 2009 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Also, check out the MS Outdoor Club. I'm not part of it, but I hear they do a lot of local hiking activity trips around the state. Their website is msoutdoorclub.org.

Hope this helps.

10:17 a.m. on June 18, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Never done much hiking in MS. If you ever have the opportunity, drive over to the Smokies and try some of those trails in the winter. Ain't nothin like it. Did 28 miles in February in sub freezing temps up to Thunderhead Mountain (5527 ft) and Rocky Top. Lots of blowing wind and freezing fog up there. Waist high snow drifts. All you got to do is keep moving. Ya'll ought to try it some time.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply