need help,please

4:52 p.m. on May 31, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

i have my lovely wife,9 year old dauther,18month old son. i want to take the camping and hiking, but i think it going to have to be easied into. my wifes from colo. and grew up camping according to her. we made a failed attenpt a few years ago when i was 97+ degrees. i'm thinking N.Ga. mountians with some modren conveineces. toilet, shower..... i'm a little more seasoned,but this needs to be enjoyed by everyone ,thanks

6:37 p.m. on May 31, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

According to my mother I went on my first camping trip when I was 6 months old. That was in the summer of 1956. I am 53 now and still like the outdoors better than the indoors.

8:28 p.m. on May 31, 2009 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

Why was it a "failed" attempt?

Many car campgrounds have showers and flush toilets. Not sure what your question is, here?

1:42 p.m. on June 1, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,053 forum posts

Go for it!

I always suggest that families do a test run (or two or as many as you like) in the backyard with the kids, even if the parents are experienced campers/backpackers. That way you can figure out what you wish you had brought along or done differently and plan accordingly for next time.

Better to find out in the backyard that your kid really wants their own headlamp/flashlight/favorite book/pillow/whatever, then an hour away from home.

I think it's also more comfortable for some kids to have their first camping experience in a familiar place, and it's still a great adventure to be sleeping in the backyard in a tent.

Then simply get out more and more to campgrounds, then backcountry campsites, as desired.

Have fun!

8:31 p.m. on June 18, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I know I love the outdoors way better than the indoors.

That is why I live in my tent.

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply