Need some hiking/camping advice for Jacks River area(Northwest GA/TN)

9:59 p.m. on June 8, 2009 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

My wife and I are wanting to plan a hiking/camping trip to the Jacks River Falls area (either the Georgia or the Tennessee side), but are a little unsure as to where you're allowed to camp. I've done some camping there before, literally a stone's throw from the river and not too far from the Falls themselves, but this was late '90's/early 2000's, and I heard that regulations in the Jacks River-area concerning camping have recently changed. Ideally, we're wanting to have a good 2-4 mile hike from the car to a campsite (a "CAMPSITE" campsite; no water/elecrtic) and be fairly close to the water from the campsite. Solitude is nice, but I'm not too worried about encountering the occasional hiker/camper, and we're not planning on fishing. I need some advice on where I should start looking, as far as good trails/camping; a map of the area with highlighted areas where camping is allowed would be AWESOME (or a link to such, as I've had no luck)
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!.... This is our first camping trip with just us two, and I need it to rule.
thanks everyone! XXX Cowhead

6:53 p.m. on June 9, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

For some photos:

http://www.jjanthony.com/waterfalls/falls/jacksriverfalls.html

As far as camping, last I heard,you may primitive camp anywhere in the Cohutta Wilderness Area as long as you are a certain distance from roads, trails, and waterways. That info is posted at the trailheads, and can also be had by calling the Chattahoochee National Forest office.

If you plan to hike the Jacks River trail, be prepared for 17 miles of getting wet crossing the river almost 50 times. If the region has received significant rainfall in previous days many of the crossings are not possible. Most of the traffic will be before the falls at the 9+ mile mark as many do a 180 at the falls. The last 8 miles or so offer more opportunity for solitude.

For a map of the Cohutta/Big Frog contact the Chattahoochee National Forest at: 770-297-3000 (Good last time I tried it, but you can always google it) Here is their contact page on the website.

http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/contact.shtml

Also get a Trail Guide book(s) that covers Georgia / Tennessee and there will be a section on this wilderness area for sure, with good, detailed trail info and maps to boot. I highly recommend getting one and taking it along as well as plenty of extra socks.

Hope you have a blast!

3:38 p.m. on June 10, 2009 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Wow, thanks so much for such a quick, detailed reply! The sheer vastness of the web, and the info therein (good and bad) is pretty overwhelming, so thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I'm glad I found this site.

8:12 p.m. on June 10, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

No problem my friend. This is a great site, and I have visited many of them. Hope to see you around!

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply