Cumberland island camping, what do I need to know???

10:21 a.m. on June 28, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Hey i will be going to there in a few weeks, july 16 to july 19

what do i need to know about cumberland island? i'm staying in stafford camp.

Have anyone fish on that island b4? i'm thinking about go to the beach at night, to catch some crabs, or whatever for dinner (thats extra on top of what we will bring).

what about fire wood?

thanks

1:26 p.m. on June 29, 2009 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I've been camping on Cumberland about 60 times since 1988. It's my favorite place in the whole world.

Summer camping on Cumberland is a challenge. Gets pretty hot, no see-ums are bad and at night what sounds like rain coming down from the trees are really ticks (I prefer to go there November thru late March).

Stafford's nice, but they turned it into a family campsite - complete with fire rings and a bathroom. You won't have much quite time there. Take a camping stool. There aren't any decent tree configurations for hammocks and you don't want to sit on the ground with the ticks.

If you want an isolated camping area, go further north to Hickory Hill or Yankee Paradise.

Beach at night is great no matter which campsite you stay at. Your not gonna catch any crabs on the Atlantic side, but you could if you go west to the river. You can also get some really tasty clams. Make sure you bring food and don't rely on catching your dinner.

There are some nice fresh water lakes for fishing. You can get to them by hiking up "Roller Coaster Trail" (North of Duck House Trail).

Be carefull, the lakes do have gators in them.

Being that everyone who stays at Stafford, also looks for firewood, your gonna have to do some work humping it from a distance. Plenty of driftwood on the beach.

If you do happen to go to Hickory (which I strongly recommend), take a look around at night with a flashlight. I have several trails set up that are marked with reflective tacks.

Further north you go, the prettier the island is. Brick Hill campsite is awesome and there is always a breeze coming off the river. You camp right on the shore of the river.

Do the self guided tour around Dungeness. It's pretty neat. You'll even see Ford Model T cars rusting away.

Go over on the 9:00 AM ferry. You'll have a better chance of snagging a better campsite than someone going over on the 11:45.

Have fun, you'll love it.

7:02 p.m. on July 6, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

thanks for all the great tips,

one of the big reason i do not want to camp at brick hill or hickory or yankee is mosquito. I get eat up by mosquito alot, which camp site would be the best?????

can you give me the direction on how to get to the spot for crab and clam????

I guess u have fish there b4 right? what do u usually use to fish there?

Have u done any surf fishing on the beach?????

What about oyster???

i hear they sell fire wood on the ferry, is that true??

hey i would like to get ur email, if u dont mind. i have many question to ask before the trip. thanks for the great help again

Sound like brickhill is a great site, maybe i should try that.

7:43 a.m. on July 10, 2009 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Sorry I haven't answered sooner, I've been in Cincinnati and Pittsburgh.

No matter which campsite you stay in during the summer months, your gonna get bit up by mosquito's and especially the no see-ums. This includes Stafford and Sea Camp.

Brickhill is terrible for no see-ums, but they do go away at night. The constant breeze off the river seems to keep the mosquito's down.

I was last at Hickory in May and the mosquito's were no problem (it had been fairly dry). I have a hammock with mosquito netting, and I didn't need to use the net at all.

You can clam from the south tip of the island to the north tip (on the river side). There really is no best spot. I have seen clams partially exposed on the beach near the ice house museum and usually, when you find one, there's six more. Those Cumberland clams are some of the best clams I have ever tasted! Pretty gritty though. You may want to take purge them overnight.

I wouldn't count on getting crabs, unless you go at night, at low tide with a flashlight and net. Although, if you plan to use baited crab traps, Brick Hill would be a great spot. You can also get shrimp up there too.

Lots of oysters! I've never eaten one, but they are everywhere. You'll be amazed.

I've never fished in the surf or anywhere. I'm not into lake fishing (trout fishing in a stream is my passion - used to live in New England).

You can get firewood and ice on the ferry.

If your going to the island to catch food, then yes - Brick Hill would be the best campsite. You got the river for clams, oysters, fish and possibly shrimp and the ocean is a short walk to the east. No camp fires at Brick Hill.

Brick Hill is ~11 mile hike from Sea Camp dock. I usually hike pretty leisurely and it takes me about 6 hours to get up there.

You can get my email addy from my profile. Feel free to email me.

e

6:43 p.m. on July 10, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Ed, thanks for the great reply. i will email you. We are going this Thursday July 16. I think we are going to stay at Stafford this time (3 nights). We are 12 hrs away from Cumberland island as we plan on drive overnight to get there. we are not very interested in 10miles hike after not gettin any sleep the night b4. also as we plan on taking the 10:15 ferry for return on sunday, there is no way we can get 10miles hike done and catch the ferry.

5:18 a.m. on July 11, 2009 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

If you don't care about having a camp fire, Stafford does have one really nice campsite.

Head up the trail past the bathroom to the fork in the trail...where one road heads left towards the main road, the other heads towards the beach trail & the water source.

At this fork, go straight into the trees. Nice secluded spot to pitch a tent and great trees for hammocks. You'll have more privacy than the other campspots - which are kinda like camping in a horse stall.

If your in one of those "stalls", people will be constantly walking back and forth past your spot going to the bathroom and beach.

As I said, take something to sit on.

Make sure to take a spool of cord. You want to get your food bag up as high as possible (at least 15 feet off the ground and 10 feet below a branch). Raccoons are just as bad at Stafford as they are at Sea Camp. They can hoist your food bag up, and they can open coolers and soda cans. If a food bag is too low, horses have been known to stand up and grab it.

Consider going to Hickory for at least one night, then Stafford for your last night or two. Walking very leisurely, you can easily get to Sea Camp dock in 1 1/2 hours from Stafford.

I usually stay all my nights at Hickory. If I leave there at 7:00 AM, I usually get to the dock at about 9:30 - 9:45. You don't want to be hanging around waiting for the ferry for too long - those darn no see-ums!

You want to be the very last person to put your stuff on the ferry. Then you'll be the first person off the ferry.

Great sea food restaurant directly across the street from the dirt parking lot (same side and to the right of the boat ramp). It's owned by the folks who operate the ferry. They'll be open when you get off the ferry. I believe it's called "Langs Seafood Restaurant".

12:40 p.m. on July 11, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

thanks for the help ed, i would hit up langs seafood on the way back.

did u get my email?

5:31 p.m. on July 11, 2009 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I won't get your email untill Monday. I gave you my work email addy.

Treat all water at Stafford.

October 22, 2014
Quick Reply