West Virginia - Overnight Hike

12:21 a.m. on July 13, 2009 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

Aloha,

I'm going to be in Beckley, West Virginia next Friday and have all day Saturday and part of Sunday free (well, I have to drive oodles of hours to Paducah, KY Sun night)... wondering if anyone can recommend some fairly easy overnight hikes.

I keep a lot of my gear up here @ the corporate house in KY, so I've got everything I need - including a Kelty Red Wing or Bora 95 (ok, big variation there..)

I'm in OK shape, but hate ups & downs. Looking for a 4 - 8 mile "lazy" loop trail with water source.

7:47 p.m. on July 13, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,555 forum posts

Hey nate,

I can't recommend a particular trail, I always seem to have good luck with river trails as far as being easy, and plenty of water too. HaHa.

You'll have to take some photos for us. I've been to West Virginia twice, always wanted to go back. I hope you find a good trail.

11:46 p.m. on July 13, 2009 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

Schedule just changed. Now I'll be in Lewisburg/Greenbrier Friday evening (Beckley is Friday AM). A lil closer to the AT.. I wonder if its just as crappy in VA as it is in TN

12:35 a.m. on July 14, 2009 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

Nate,

I have done both Spruce Knob and Seneca rocks.

Seneca http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seneca_Rocks is an up and down but its fairly short and the views are incredible. You would have to do a walk-in campsite since there is no overnight camping on Seneca.

Spruce Knob http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spruce_Knob is a a little easier but check the hunting season before you go. I am not a hunter so have no idea if anyone is out there hunting right now... I doubt it considering fawns are still not weaned from mommy yet.

As far as weather, no, not nearly as wet as your neck of the woods. Although I did get drenched this weekend on the Rocky Top trail in Shenandoah.

8:18 p.m. on July 14, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,555 forum posts

Those look like some cool places. Thanks for those links.

"...that's why all the folks on rocky top get their corn from a jar."

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply