Is it safe to hike Paria Canyon in August

6:24 p.m. on July 14, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

I think I had heard that August was the worst time to hike the Paria because of rain? Does anyone here know about the canyon and hiking?

I want to hike from Lee's Ferry to Tropic below Byrce canyon. How about running water, does water flow down the Paria in the summer?

11:41 a.m. on July 15, 2009 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

There's a higher risk of flash floods. See the Weather section under attached link. May consider waiting till October...

http://www.frankstehno.com/sagemesa/destinations/utah/pariacanyonvcwa/pcvcwaintro.htm

Flash Flood Info:

http://www.frankstehno.com/sagemesa/guide/bcconsiderations/rivers.htm

12:59 p.m. on July 15, 2009 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
36 forum posts

I'll second Will's advice and suggest that you wait till autumn for your hike. July, August and early September are the prime months for the summer rainy season. At this time of the year, violent afternoon and evening thunderstorms are not just possible but likely. Since these may occur at a distance from your location they may not seem like much of a risk. But, if you are in the storms drainage - a wash, or a slot canyon like the Paria, you can be trapped as the water becomes 5-6 feet deep in the matter of a couple of minutes. Also, the weather on the Colorado Plateau in August is hot and humid. Temps can easily exceed 100° with humidity reaching 50%; it can be pretty uncomfortable. October is safer and more comfortable.

1:50 p.m. on July 15, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

Thanks, I thought about it and will wait until maybe late Septmeber to early October to hike it again. I have done the Buckskin Gulch in September.

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply