NH White Mountains - Where to go?

4:15 p.m. on July 21, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Forgive my noob'ish ness, but I'm looking to go backcountry camping in New Hampshire and to climb Mount Washington on one of the days.

The one problem I'm encountering is long lists of places a person can't camp, but no lists of where you CAN camp (apart from designated huts).

Is there a specific area of the white's that lends itself more to backcountry camping? or a specific trail up Mount Washington? I have a fear of hiking forever and always being in an "off limits to campers" area.

7:50 p.m. on July 21, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
595 forum posts

This should give you all the info you need -- http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/

Do read about Mt. Washington before hiking up. It is not its height that makes it dangerous, but the weather patterns. See http://www.mountwashington.org/about/visitor/surviving.php

3:22 p.m. on August 13, 2009 (EDT)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Mt Washington is way over rated. In fact, it's downright ugly in summer. There are lots of places in the whites to go backpacking. If you want solitude and an abundance of natural sites I'd recommend the Wild River, east of the Carter Moriah Range. If you want something really hard, start at Grafton Notch in Maine and hike down the AT to Gorham, NH. Also, don't forget the AT west of Mt. Mooseilauke. Not as crowded and quite beautiful.

3:38 p.m. on August 13, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,159 forum posts

Mt Washington is way over rated. In fact, it's downright ugly in summer. There are lots of places in the whites to go backpacking. If you want solitude and an abundance of natural sites I'd recommend the Wild River, east of the Carter Moriah Range. If you want something really hard, start at Grafton Notch in Maine and hike down the AT to Gorham, NH. Also, don't forget the AT west of Mt. Mooseilauke. Not as crowded and quite beautiful.

Wait, you're giving away some of my favorite spots! Just kidding.

The Wild River/Evans Notch area is really beautiful and quiet. We were there in June in and saw very few people, partly due to location and partly due to the constant rain.

Grafton is very nice too, though I haven't done the new loop trail yet.

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply