Adventure Travel

10:50 a.m. on July 26, 2009 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Hi Folks- My wife and I are 58 years old and in good shape. We hike- raft-climb-bike and just about anything outdoors or unique. Am constantly looking for suggestions on outfits etc that offer adventure type packages . Inside US or international is good. Short trips - long - it doesn't matter- just trying to stay super active especially in the rainy months here in Oregon. Not too big on cold and looking to escape. Any suggestions- links- etc -MUCH appreciated-Thanks You

6:01 p.m. on July 26, 2009 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I still hike and camp the coastal areas of Oregon in the winter. Last year I didnt stop till Dec 15th, then started again in Feb.

9:43 p.m. on July 26, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,139 forum posts

I have been into adventure travel since I hitchhiked around the USA in 1977 at the age of 21. Since then I have been all over the US. I have never driven a car so my bicycle keeps me in decent shape taking me everywhere I need to go in the off seasons. I love to go backpacking and cycle touring.

3:42 a.m. on July 28, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Head for New Zealand. I spent a fair amount of time there, but nothing organized like a tour. Did it myself, self supported bike touring and hiking, but there are touring companies that offer hikes on the Milford Track, bike tours, etc. With two islands and opposite seasons from ours, you can do almost every kind of sport imaginable. I went bike touring, hiking, river rafting, and climbing, but there is also skiing, surfing, scuba diving, RV touring, sky diving, pretty much anything you want.

I was there quite a while ago, so no current info, but Lonely Planet and Insight publish good guide books. The NZ tourist office in LA could probably steer you to some companies. I'm sure they have a website.

10:41 a.m. on August 5, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
595 reviewer rep
672 forum posts

I'll second NZ, it doesn't get much better. But you could also come to Norway!

http://www.norwayhut2hut.com/Home.html

11:32 a.m. on August 6, 2009 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Those are some nice huts !! Keep the links coming- much appreciated !! Thanks

2:46 p.m. on August 6, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

http://www.rei.com/adventures has a list of packages that REI has.

7:16 p.m. on September 8, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

Ever biked in China? Cheap, lots of friendly people, villages everywhere and crazy culture difference. I did it on my own but i know some people outfit mostly Kunming and down towards Hong-Kong.

I mostly used this website and followed one of the routes. I'd love to do it again further south and closer to Tibet. The amount of help i received from locals was amazing, from free meals and snacks to entrance to special places. No need to carry anything except spare parts, there's stores everywhere.

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply