Backcountry camping in the Mid-Atlantic?

7:35 p.m. on July 27, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi there:

I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for non-campground camping ("backcountry," I suppose) around Baltimore, Philly, the Lehigh Valley in PA or anywhere among those places? My husband and I are looking for secluded spots for a nice weekend getaway in a tent. Campgrounds abound, but I feel like that's cheating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

1:32 p.m. on August 1, 2009 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

I don't think campgrounds are cheating at all. It's just a different sort of getaway.

I just spent a night at the Hickory Run State Park south of Scranton on the way home from a week in the Adirondacks. It was a very nice experience.

Sorry that doesn't really answer your question. Just thought I'd mention it. Any time in the woods is better than no time in the woods. Way better.

I hope others chime in with the info you really wanted. :-)

6:03 p.m. on August 3, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

When I first read the question, I thought "How can you camp in the Mid-Atlantic?" I was thinking of the Atlantic Ocean!

4:00 p.m. on August 4, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

Catoctin Mountain Park and Cunningham Falls State Park are kinda like two parks in one and are around 1.5 hrs from Baltimore. (Closest town is Thurmont, NC) The are literally right next to one another. Both have campsites and Catoctin has some back country Adirondack shelters. My Wife and I have spent time in both parks and all campgrounds and shelters. For us it is a close "goto" for a weekend in the woods. Both have some nice trails. The Adirondack Shelters in Catoctin have a stream near by for water... I'd add them to your list to look into deeper...

Catoctin Mountain Park

http://www.nps.gov/cato/

Cunningham Falls State Park

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/western/cunninghamfalls.html

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply