Trip to Hawaii including kauai, oahu, and possibly maui.

5:57 p.m. on August 14, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

In mid september I'll be taking a trip to Hawaii. The main purpose for this trip is to surf. I plan to camp and backpack along the coast of kauai and oahu and possibly maui.

I plan to take some backpacking trips including one along the nepali coast of kauai.

My first question is about food. I have a limited amount of space in my pack and need to pack the most weight/calorie/cost effective. I've been thinking beens and rice will be a good food to rely on. Also oatmeal which is calorie rich and only requires water to cook. Let me know if you have any ideas of whats good for these purpose that can be bought at the average supermarket. it should be noted that some of the grocery stores in Hawaii are fairly limited.

The other question I have is about theft. I've heard that the petty theft in hawaii is very bad and I had some friends whose car was broken into and wallets, camera's, phones, etc. were stolen. If anyone has any thoughts they'd be appreciated.

Thanks

7:20 p.m. on August 14, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

I haven't been back in a long time, but yes, according to my friends there, plus people I know who have visited, theft has become a big problem. When I lived there, I had stuff stolen out my car, one of my roommates had her car stolen, I had my house burgled, and so on. Someone I know had all his gear stolen on the North Shore a couple of years ago.

The outer islands might be less of a problem, but I wouldn't count on it. As for supermarkets, they are everywhere, so I don't know where you got that idea.

There are a lot of websites with info on backpacking cooking. A search should turn up plenty of them.

8:21 p.m. on August 14, 2009 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

You could buy your food ahead of time and mail it to yourself. Thats what I do when I go backpacking in other areas of the country, because its cheaper (to me) and easier than having to pay the mark up of prices, plus I know my hometown grocery and where everthing is and how much it costs. I did this on a trip to Alaska, a couple summers ago where I knew the prices there were expensive.

Most Post Offices will hold boxes 30 days.

12:17 a.m. on August 15, 2009 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

One of the airlines I set up had me out there for 2 years, and found Safeway to be a good place to get food and either freeze-dry it, or buy the prepackaged food and boil it in water (Healthy Choice pastas in the green/clear dishes are perfect, heavy, but perfect). Also, the Sports Authority at Ward Shopping Center (its beside Ross at the corner of Ward and Halekauwila Street) sometimes will stock MSR Isopro fuel and freeze dried goods (however you can't fly with isopro)... good idea to call them and speak with a manager & find out exactly what they have.

Theft will always be big on Kauai. And now with that damn movie coming out about the hikers along the Napili Trail, its just going to get even more popular. I suggest you do what the kama'aina do and fish.

check out https://hawaiitrails.ehawaii.gov/ if you haven't spent time there.

4:47 p.m. on August 25, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Tom D:

I got the idea about supermarkets when I was in kaui and there were areas where the nearest supermarket was more than 20 miles away. And while most of the supermarkets have a good selection there are some that dont have the same selection as that of supermarkets in the average suburb of the lower 48. And what I wanted to convey was that there wont be whole foods stores every other block. Sorry for the confusion.

Also I know there are a lot of websites about backpack cooking but they do not usually cover the cost portion of my concern.

garypalmer:

I like that idea but I will be in the islands for a number of months.

travelnate:

The pasta is a good idea. I have a multi fuel stoves so canisters wont be a bother.

Too bad hollywood has to tarnish the beauty of that trail. I hiked a bit of it in may and it is quite gorgeous.

-------

I forgot to add in the first bit that, besides flights, I plan to do all my traveling on foot with a hitch-hike here and there so I have to settle for whatever grocery story / campsite / surf spot / etc. are near.

thanks for the input

8:53 a.m. on August 26, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Here's some of what we eat on backpacking trips:

- Summer sausage mixed w/ Red beans & rice, jambalaya, or gumbo mix

- Pasta-Roni / Rice-a-roni - We like the alfredo packets & add chicken

- Spaghetti - use the sauce packets

- You can buy Chicken, Tuna Steaks, & Salmon in bags - it's by the canned tuna - great to add to anything

- Cup-a-soup packets / or ramen noodles

- Boxed Hashbrowns for breakfast

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply