Looking for a trail....

5:56 p.m. on September 9, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

So two buddies of mine and me want to go on a backpacking trip within 10 hours of NC. We want to be able to rent a canoe and paddle down a river and find a camping spot, park and set up a camp site and make a fire and relax for a good 4 days. Also we want it to be very large areas with privacy from 1 area to the next.

Any ideas?

I just keep finding places that will only let me camp in a certain spot or let me go anyway I want but cant make a fire.

7:41 p.m. on September 9, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Only place I have been like that is the New River near N Wilkesboro. I think you can rent at Zaloo's canoe right on the river and camp at the state parks down river. I am pretty sure there are at least 2 different parks maybe 5 miles apart and you can play hopscotch with your vehicles. Then have Zaloo's shuttle the canoes back to the store for you. The only park I have been to is the first one down river. They had maybe 10 campsites and were first come, first serve. Can't remeber if there was a fee or not. The sites were spead out and we always managed to get one of the 2 right on the river.

4:29 a.m. on September 10, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

The only suggestion I could offer you is the Adirondacks, there are a bunch of places like what you are looking for. It taks about 11 hours from Bristol TN/VA to Syracuse NY it is another 1 - 2 hours to the Adirondacks depending on where you want to go. Maybe that's a tad farther than you want to go. I would recommend the Cranberry Lake, Oswegatchie River, Five Ponds Wilderness area it is long enough to accommodate what you are looking for and much more.

8:41 a.m. on September 10, 2009 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

Here is a page of links for the West Virginia area. There is a lot of wilderness in the Mountain State, and a lot of outfitters. If you don't see exactly what you are looking for, pick a likely outfitter and call. They might be able to put you onto something. I've spent a lot of happy time not seeing a single 'nother soul out in the WV boonies. Never rented a canoe to do a trip like you describe, though, so I can't be more precise.

http://www.wildernet.com/pages/outfitter.cfm?areaID=WV&CU_ID=1

1:45 a.m. on October 5, 2009 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

If you are still looking.... there is a river in Florida called "Peace River". It is basically from around Bartow area all the way to Port Charlotte...... there are places along the way like Zolfo Springs, Fl., Gardner, Fl., Arcadia, Fl. where you can rent canoes and go down Peace River till you get to Port Charlotte; which leads to the Gulf of Mexico....you can camp along the river on the way. I did it a few times and had a great time! Someone might not think it sounds that great but it is a lot of fun!!! I think there are camp grounds too.... but you don't have to have a permit or anything..... you can have a fire, etc. But I hope this helps....the higher up in the state you go like around Wauchula or Zolfo Springs.... will give you a longer journey.... but if you want to take your time..... well, you know what to do... just look on the map and check it out if you want.

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply